DOH, Sterling 10.25 axle vent snapped off

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finishing up the overhaul on the entire brake system, I was removing the rear hydraulic brake line and twisted off the axle vent bolt that also holds the line on the axle.

I'd go to a yard, but I'm in the rust belt. It will be a lesson in frustration, I'd bet many will snap before I get one worth using.

Still ended up being a happy accident, found out the tube was severely clogged.

Is there a part number for that particular part or a good way to redneck engineer something that will work in both capacities?

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
any ford truck or bronco axle uses that fitting. use an easy out to remove the broken one. it is pipe thread IIRC.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
i live in the rust belt as well western new york but i have never broke one i find ther a safer bet to pull and put in gear oil than the fill pug so i have taken out alot of them just use a impact wrench the first time they come right out

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Soak the stuck fitting with aero Kroil for a few days before attempting removal so you dont end up with a broken easy out in there. Bring the kroil to the boneyard and hit the one you want to remove and then go get a sandwich to give it time to soak in before trying to pop it out.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Soak the stuck fitting with aero Kroil for a few days before attempting removal so you dont end up with a broken easy out in there. Bring the kroil to the boneyard and hit the one you want to remove and then go get a sandwich to give it time to soak in before trying to pop it out.

and dont EVEN think about buying that breather bolt form ford!!!! less you want to rob a bank first!! that fitting,,has straight threads into the axle housing..they arent tapered like pipe...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a big event is at hand here. Finding one in a wrecking yard will be easy. Getting one off a wrecking yard Ford or mer or other big ford rig is going to be fun. But thats park of the yard search fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online