Does Electric Fan Upgrade Require Alternator Upgrade?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember some of the early big trucks I used to drive had manual shutoffs. Used to have a big knob with a cable in the floor or dash you pull out to kill the thing then push back in to have ready for next start, just like my tractor, and its not that old, its only an 84 IH 284 diesel

Or leave the knob pulled out to see how long the next guy takes trying to start it before checking to see if its pushed in.LOL

As far as our pumps go. The DB2 was available with different fuel shutoff valves. You could have both (power to solenoid-on) and (power to selonoid-off) setups. I wouldnt mind trying to see if i could switch it to (power off) type setup. Turn the key off and push a button to shut it down ;Sweet

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
anyone have the PN# for a v belt 3G?
Actually, look up an alternator for an early 90's Taurus. They were serpentine but used the same style mounting as the V-Belt style on these trucks.

Or leave the knob pulled out to see how long the next guy takes trying to start it before checking to see if its pushed in.LOL

As far as our pumps go. The DB2 was available with different fuel shutoff valves. You could have both (power to solenoid-on) and (power to selonoid-off) setups. I wouldnt mind trying to see if i could switch it to (power off) type setup. Turn the key off and push a button to shut it down ;Sweet

That would be cool as hell, I wasn't aware of that......

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Anyone want a alternator rebuilt Stock or kick A$$ high output PM me i rebuild for alot of different aplications

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have the PN# for a v belt 3G?

It's also a well known fact you cannot get the benefit of the full output of the 3G with just a single v-belt. After about 100amps the single v-belt will start to slip. That's why Ford used the serpentine belt or a dual v-belt setup with this alternator. You will still get the benefit of high amps at a lower rpm, but you will never see the full 130amp output without a lot of belt squealing.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
I am running a 140 amp alternator with the v-belt, and have no issues with belt slippage. I took the factory pulley off my old alternator and put it on my gm CS-144 alternator. The only issue I had with it slipping was when the belt got loose, but it was rather loose. The angle and the amount of contact the belt has with the pulley also plays a part as well. The more contact, the better in general.
Your mileage may vary though.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's also a well known fact you cannot get the benefit of the full output of the 3G with just a single v-belt. After about 100amps the single v-belt will start to slip. That's why Ford used the serpentine belt or a dual v-belt setup with this alternator. You will still get the benefit of high amps at a lower rpm, but you will never see the full 130amp output without a lot of belt squealing.

I am a little confused about dual v-belts described here. The stock alternators on my vans have 2 belts on them. One belt is connected to the crankshaft pulley to drive the alternator, and the other belt connects the alternator to the vacuum pump. Since only one belt drives the alternator, is this considered to be a single v-belt system?

The IDI Tech Article "130 amp 3G alternator install" (http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?14573-130-amp-3G-alternator-install) has a picture of the conversion to the 3G alternator:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jasonsprouse/3Galternator.jpg

The picture appears to have the same belt setup as the stock setup in my vans. Am I missing something here? Should there be 3 belts when you upgrade to 3G, two belts to drive the alternator, and one belt to drive the vacuum pump?

sassyrel

Reaction score
I know first hand that with no alt(home made bypass) that a standard will run with 0 battery power.
It's how I got home when my alt went out

what was running the shut off solenoid,,inside the ip??????????????????????????????????

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
I am a little confused about dual v-belts described here. The stock alternators on my vans have 2 belts on them. One belt is connected to the crankshaft pulley to drive the alternator, and the other belt connects the alternator to the vacuum pump. Since only one belt drives the alternator, is this considered to be a single v-belt system?

The IDI Tech Article "130 amp 3G alternator install" (http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?14573-130-amp-3G-alternator-install) has a picture of the conversion to the 3G alternator:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jasonsprouse/3Galternator.jpg

The picture appears to have the same belt setup as the stock setup in my vans. Am I missing something here? Should there be 3 belts when you upgrade to 3G, two belts to drive the alternator, and one belt to drive the vacuum pump?

You are correct with the assumption that this is a single v-belt setup, despite the two v-belt grooves. As you may have noted that that two grooves on the alternator are different sizes, thus trying to run those off of the water pump / crank pulley system would not be feasible. There is a different double-pulley that was installed on these alternators, however they will not work well with our application and it is best advised to keep the stock pulley. The stock pulley diameter is larger, thus the alternator will spin a shade slower, but it will give them more contact area for the belt to aid in not slipping.

I do no know of any three groove pulleys that would work in our setup. If you upgraded, and had a newer belt, and got the tension of the belt tight, you should not have any belt slippage. I realize this is contrary to what other have said, but I am speaking from my own experience.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what was running the shut off solenoid,,inside the ip??????????????????????????????????

An almost dead battery will keep the solenoid energized if the motor is already running. We test Moose Pump FSS's down to 5.5 volts and they still hold. I have a 140amp Leece-Nevile on the Moose Truck, and my fans just got a major workout at the rally in Michigan. I drove around all week in blazing near 100 degree weather, frequently towing the Moose Tail, and had no issues keeping the motor cool. Me on the other hand.... my in-cab cooling fan needs a major upgrade! LOL

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Working now; and that's interesting with the temperatures of the coil... too bad the pump doesn't pull from the top, built in fuel heater :p (and I understand that is just standing temps, as why the fuel flows across it to keep those temps from occuring)

And...LMAO. Too funny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online