Do you guys think my truck can pull a backhoe?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok so heres the deal... do you think my truck could move a backhoe without damaging anything?

Last edited:

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need is a john Deere key they are all the same.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
No. your truck cannot move real construction sized back hoes

For example a JD 310(one of their smaller ones) hoe weighs in at about 12,000 lbs. Do you think your 7k truck can drag 12k. I think not. How about you just jet a JD key and drive the machines away

DragRag

Reaction score
Just drive them back to the site. No reason to load them and trailer them to the job. Hell, i have driven my backhoe 10 miles to a job before. No big deal. I second the motion on deleting the details of your act.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok. I had no idea how much they weighed. i knew it was up there but wasnt sure how much. So yea almost double what these trucks weigh. Ive got the keys.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Uhm, yeah, if it's not in gear, your truck will pull it fine, been there, done that! (albeit different circumstances). I'm assuming they are just sitting there, you aren't talking trailer and all (not that it won't pull that too). I've pulled a 15,000 lb dozer on a trailer no problems, back roads and such, not highway miles and not a regular thing. Anyway, rolling out of gear you can pull it no problem. Not sure where 15,000 lbs of rolling weight would be an issue at all...just me though.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
if its not in gear then yes but I am like the others why mess with using your truck just get a key to them. I will warn you that most construction companies, around here at least, put gps locators and silent alarms that let the company know when they are fired up, and where they are even if they arent fired up so dont be suprised if you get the cops pulling up in the middle of you moving them. Me personally I would just ask to speak to the foreman and ask him why they cant park their equipment elsewhere

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
if its not in gear then yes but I am like the others why mess with using your truck just get a key to them. I will warn you that most construction companies, around here at least, put gps locators and silent alarms that let the company know when they are fired up, and where they are even if they arent fired up so dont be suprised if you get the cops pulling up in the middle of you moving them. Me personally I would just ask to speak to the foreman and ask him why they cant park their equipment elsewhere

Same thoughts here...I know most of the equipment that I've run in the last few years (even the rented dozer) had GPS on it. Not sure what all was tracked, but I'm sure location was one of them. I know our grade machines and such use GPS for grade and directional help, but wasn't sure about security...guess you answered that! :)

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
grandpa used to own a construction company and it was required by his insurance to have gps and silent alarms if he wanted that equipment covered. I have personally had to move equipment out in the plants to access area around a job and I always called whatever company who had their name on it because the first time I did this I didnt call and I ended up with the general foreman of the company and two plant security trucks breathing down my neck before I ever moved the dozer 100 yds

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Talk to someone first or find out what the city codes and vehicle code state. Around here, to be parked or operated on the street, it has to be licensed. Be a nuisance instead of a criminal.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I called them this morning, they haven't returned my calls. I don't want to get ticketed or anything but my neighbors were out there last night at midnight having a meeting about it. I don't know what their plans are but I know it didn't involve calling anyone. I'm waiting to hear back from them so don't worry, I won't do anything rash.

Also, just wondering why do you two want me to edit my first post to just ask the question? I don't understand? I figured background gave reason to my question was all.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Also, just wondering why do you two want me to edit my first post to just ask the question? I don't understand? I figured background gave reason to my question was all.

Well it documents your criminal act you want to do. It is not your property so it is Illegal to touch it

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok thats kinda what I was wondering if you guys were hinting at.

Anyway. Funny I said I was waiting for a call back from the general foreman of the job because he just called me. He's pissed that there's been equipment parked on the street at night. He said there are other small companies working on the job so not all the equipment is his but he said regardless the stuff shouldn't be parked on the street even during the day much less over night. He's on his way into town right now and he told me if the equipment is still parked there he'll personally move it.

So I learned from this thanks to brad and a few others that
1. its not a good idea to move a backhoe with our trucks
2. some people here have atleast tried it, lol.
3. general contractors don't always know whats going on around the work site.