Do these trucks have a problem with glow plug relays?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WARNING

My IDI senses are tingling. Please be specific. Are YOU going to replace these parts, or is your Ford dealer?

He may have asked if it has a turbo, because the last 2 on the passenger side can be a ***** to replace. If he's asking, it may be because he is doing the work.

One of these days I am going to have to write a comprehensive 7.3 glow plug system bible, because no matter how many times I post it, no one ever seems to echo my troubleshooting methods which work and take all the guess work out of fixing these things.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
WARNING

My IDI senses are tingling. Please be specific. Are YOU going to replace these parts, or is your Ford dealer?

He may have asked if it has a turbo, because the last 2 on the passenger side can be a ***** to replace. If he's asking, it may be because he is doing the work.

One of these days I am going to have to write a comprehensive 7.3 glow plug system bible, because no matter how many times I post it, no one ever seems to echo my troubleshooting methods which work and take all the guess work out of fixing these things.

He did say that he was going to be doing the work, not the dealer :

"That aside, I'm going to try and do all 8 plugs and my relay on Sunday and that should be the end of it. "

ninjai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought... it just didn't make any sense. I will just assume that's how their computers work when thy search for part numbers. LOL

because the last 2 on the passenger side can be a ***** to replace

No kidding, I did my plugs earlier this year and that is *definitely* not something I'm looking forward too. With good tools it was still some sort of physics magic how I got them in and out......

ninjai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm officially confused. I replaced all 8 glow plugs with motocraft ones I bought from Ford. I attached all the caps to them. I removed the old glow plug relay/controller and replaced it with a new one. The exact same thing happens! There goes $270 to nothing :(.

edit:
Did some test with a multimeter. Most of the stuff checked out, except the resistance measured on my ground for the GPC was around 12 ohms. I tried using a jumper cable form the point where I connect the GPC to it's ground and attached it to the ground on my battery to no avail. Maybe I screwed up the jumper situation, but the ground is reading 12 ohms... so I don't know.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
edit:
Did some test with a multimeter. Most of the stuff checked out, except the resistance measured on my ground for the GPC was around 12 ohms. I tried using a jumper cable form the point where I connect the GPC to it's ground and attached it to the ground on my battery to no avail. Maybe I screwed up the jumper situation, but the ground is reading 12 ohms... so I don't know.

:eek::eek: that is a crap ton of resistance. need to clean all the grounds.

ninjai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek::eek: that is a crap ton of resistance. need to clean all the grounds.

I think I measured backwards, I tried jumping a wire to the battery and still the same problem

Edit: problem solved! There was a wire along the way that grounded the glow plug controller, it was at a connector and the plastic was broken and melted. I broke apart the crud and butt connected several wires. Its good now!

Last edited: