Dime Width???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Width is the diameter across the circle. I'm guessing maybe we should start posting the timing issue this way.... Move the pump a dimes width meaning about 25 thousands. Surely that will help members understand what the measurement is... But before doing any adjustments use a center punch to make a mark between the pump and gear cover joint. Then if you don't like the move its really easy to reset the timing to where it was... Just match up the 2 half circles in the punch mark joint line... Thanks to Mel for teaching that trick to me at the 2009 rally. For many years I have used this method of marking steam power plant machinery when its taken apart for repairs. I just never brought it over to my engine work. Funny how that is...

gandalf

Reaction score
Width is the diameter across the circle. I'm guessing maybe we should start posting the timing issue this way.... Move the pump a dimes width meaning about 25 thousands. ...

You're confusing me, Gary.cookoo That's not a hard thing to do on a Saturday morning, but I'll try to clarify this with my understanding of the terminology.

The width of a dime is the distance across the face, the diameter. The diameter of a dime is ~11/16th of an inch. That's just under 3/4 inch. Therefore rotating a pump a dime's width cannot be 25 thousandths.

I measure the thickness of a dime, the thickness being across the edge of the dime, at something under 1/16th inch. My tape measure won't go any more accurate than that. But, 1/16 inch is equal to .0625 inch.

So, when we're talking about adjusting the IP, I'd suggest rotating it the thickness of a dime, not the width.

When I installed my IP, I don't think it would rotate anywhere close to 3/4 inch.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks Ken... I was useing the terms most used here so members had an understanding of what is being spoken. I was trying to tell all that this is the demensional movement you want to make no matter what the terminaolgy is used... I guess we are making up our own terminolgy for pump movement. I suppose its kinda like saying this is 9 inches when we know it isn't...:eek::angel: I have seen this terminolgy issue for some time here and trying to clearify it so the newbies can feel good about what they are attempting... What we are trying to do is give those that don't know what the "width is something to "see" by calling it something they feel they know. Clearly width... Thickness have completely differant meanings. How we ever got to this place is a mystery to me. Many have no idea what the measurement0.025 means or even looks like. Saturady morning blurry eyes Ken... Wake up like I do at 4 am to watch the sun come up.....:eek: Well in all honesty thats the time I usually get up for good reason... Gotta ***.....:rotflmao:D Sucks getting old.....er.....;p

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll mic a dime in a fee hours at work. I think a dime is thicker than.25 I think its more like .60. I use mics and feeler gauges at work on every part I run.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it might be easier to say; make adjustments using the approx thickness of a (sharpened) pencil line mark you draw on paper or something lol.
8.5 BTDC and my marks are lined straight up.before the turbo (and fuel was turned up to get boost) i was at the common famous "dime thickness." the internal fuel screw setting alters where the lines will be.
it really is best to buy a meter.it's part of the cost of buying and owning a mechanical idi diesel truck really.
if i move a dime thickness (advance) towards the pass side now blindly and then set my meter on it,id probably get 10-12 BTDC. so be careful folks.remember the "dime thickness" is a rough rule of thumb only.it doesn't necessarily mean your timing will even be in the proper ball park.

Last edited:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
grumble grumble grumble *walks out and gets his calipers*

7 dimes, makes it between .046 and .051 for the "thickness" of a dime.

gandalf

Reaction score
Okay, Gary. I think we've all put in our two cents worth about the size and shape of a dime. I think it was the terminology which was confusing, but we've covered it sufficiently now that everyone will understand, regardless of what they call it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dimes width...a dimes thickness...everybody gets the point by now I think. It would be kind of difficult to adjust the IP a dimes width so I think just about everyone understands what is really meant to be said. Guess the term a "dimes width" may just be a pet peeve to a few people LOL.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Okay, Gary. I think we've all put in our two cents worth about the size and shape of a dime. I think it was the terminology which was confusing, but we've covered it sufficiently now that everyone will understand, regardless of what they call it.

Nawh.. I put in a dimes worth.....:eek::rotflmao I couldn't resist that Ken.. But yes... Its been beat to death so many times on this forum. Seems like the topic for a saturday anyway...:sly

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Another way to look at it would be a ****hairs width. Old boss at the rock quary said it all the time. A gorilla of a man. Once saw him throw an air chuck threw a shop wall. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance