different rear ends

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
my 10.25 is great... tough as can be.
but I'm tired of getting stuck in the mud.

what is a good limited slip axle that can be easily swapped in the 10.25's place?

thanks
Drew

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Why not put a limited slip unit in the one you have? If you don't want to get down and dirty setting up gears, try a powertrax unit. Travis sounds pretty satisfied with his. I am thinking about going that route as well.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hate to say it but our trucks in 2wd really suck on anything not paved.SRW is a little better but the front end is so dang heavy it sinks and makes basically wheel chocks.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
thats great. I didn't know about powertrax.

only trick is I couldn't find a pricing guide on the page.

They are under $400 from what I have found. There is usually a listing on Ebay for them, but I don't know if this is the best price around. Here is one I just found, $341 for it.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
thats not bad sle2115, $341 would be doable.

Freightrain, last time I got stuck, I had 3500lbs of railroad ties in the back of the truck.
One tire slipping was all it took.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
hate to say it but our trucks in 2wd really suck on anything not paved.SRW is a little better but the front end is so dang heavy it sinks and makes basically wheel chocks.

Yep, that is true, but having both rear wheels spinning instead of one sure helps. Our trucks are truly front end pigs and they are very heavy on the front end. When I bought my truck, it had pretty crappy tires and I could pretty much spin them at will in 2 wd and could get stuck on pavement in a slow rain!!! :puke: A little different now, but I still have to use 4 WD when only one side spins, even with brand new tires and dual rear wheels.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
actually, my truck is always loaded like that.....

I started working with a friend on his mobil sawmill operation.
The last job was located 10miles offroad. I left my truck, threw my toolboxes and road to the mill with him.

I don't have the time or money for a different truck or a 4wd swap. this locker might get me by for the moment.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
thats not bad sle2115, $341 would be doable.

Freightrain, last time I got stuck, I had 3500lbs of railroad ties in the back of the truck.
One tire slipping was all it took.

Well, since I suggested it, I do want a finders fee, feedback!!! You get one and get it installed and let me know how it works. Travis didn't like his at first, but has gotten used to it as of the last he talked about it. They must be tough, cause I have heard from several in the brotherhood that his Cummins runs very well (was told I needed to go for a ride with him) and he is not afraid to run it!!! So it must be pretty tough as well.

Feedback man, feedback!!! :rotflmao :rotflmao

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A locker should make a HUGE difference for traction, the rear end in my truck is welded, and 4wd is very rarely necessary in any situation that a street driven truck should see.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A locker should make a HUGE difference for traction, the rear end in my truck is welded, and 4wd is very rarely necessary in any situation that a street driven truck should see.

F***in right weld those spiners....im almost to the point that if i dont find a locker by the time i get new gears, thats what im doin....

sassyrel

Reaction score
or--go to www.car-part.com and look up that axle--about 85 up to 97--and look for a posi one--i got my posi out of cali--and with shipping ---was 125.00--clutches were good---but since worked at dealer--replaced--then set it up--workds real good--and was low cost----oh--i had the bozo in cali just ship the posi---

MoonDog

Reaction score
Can a powertrax (lockrite I assume) be installed without removing the carrier or ring gear?

I too have been thinking of a locker for my truck, if I get off the driveway and onto the lawn I'm stuck in my yard :p

I would have to say a locker makes as much of a difference in go-foreward traction as 2wd vs. 4wd. It doesn't give you the ability to power or compression brake your front tires, but it keeps you from having the side to side slippage that you get even with 4wd.

I've run a welded rear in a daily driver before, went back to open because it just wasn't for me. I've had friends install spools thinking "how bad could a little tire scrub be?" only to spend just as much having it removed. I'm not trying to knock welded / spooled rear ends, but they're certainly not for eveyone. If you have no qualms about driving around on dry pavement in 4wd, a welded / spooled rear end probably wouldnt bother you too much.

If you do weld it, for the love of gawd do it (or have it done) right! your buddy's underpowered wire feed welder with mild steel wire is not what you want to use to stick heat treated high carbon steel gear teeth together! :rotflmao

Tate