diesel run away tonight while going down the road

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vegas39, can the front sending unit be replaced without removing the bed or dropping the tank? I thought there wasn't enough space there to do it that way although I would love to know that there is. I repalced my rear tanks sending unit back in January while the bed was off being painted. Unfortunately, I had trouble finding another unit the time to do the other tank as well so I still need to do the front tank.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
I am so glad you posted the photo of the olive. I have been reading and reading here about them and wondering what the hell they looked like! I assumed they were some sort of compression seal but a pic is worth a1000 words.;Sweet

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vegas39, can the front sending unit be replaced without removing the bed or dropping the tank? I thought there wasn't enough space there to do it that way although I would love to know that there is. I repalced my rear tanks sending unit back in January while the bed was off being painted. Unfortunately, I had trouble finding another unit the time to do the other tank as well so I still need to do the front tank.

Yes, on my 86 and another 86 that I just worked on, The sending unit assembly can be removed without dropping the tank or removing the bed.;Sweet

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DONT need to drop the front tank or remove the bed to fix the showerhead, not sure about the rear tank though.
I just fixed the showerhead issue on a truck last weekend and it was actually a pretty quick job.

Any tips? I still have to search for a thread on this anyways as I have no clue what i'm looking to replace/fix lol. If it's fairly easy, i may tackle it this or next weekend. Give me an excuse to avoid the ol lady ;p

Tomorrow when I get back from the dump i'm going to look everything over that you all are suggesting. It was 33F here and the truck didn't want to start at lunch break. it took some throttle pedal to get it to go, then coughed up grey/black smoke when it finally ran.

Here's an interesting part. this is the first time it happened. High idle kicked down, waited a few minutes after that and started down the road. I just shifted into 3rd gear and it was accelerating fine, but it felt funny, like my foot wasn't on the pedal all the way..then it kind of coughed and acclerated like normal. been fine every since minus some more smoke merging on the highway (flat, unloaded, not a fast and furious style merging, just getting up to speed normally)

edit: ps. when its 50 degrees or more outside, it starts perfect everytime. cranks MAYBE second and she's off to the races. if that means anything to y'all

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing if you had the pump timed. But that could cause the smoke. And also the pump may already be turned up some. The starting issue sounds glowplug related. Or maybe the fuel lines, the colder weather is harder on rubber components like that.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips? I still have to search for a thread on this anyways as I have no clue what i'm looking to replace/fix lol. If it's fairly easy, i may tackle it this or next weekend. Give me an excuse to avoid the ol lady ;p

Tomorrow when I get back from the dump i'm going to look everything over that you all are suggesting. It was 33F here and the truck didn't want to start at lunch break. it took some throttle pedal to get it to go, then coughed up grey/black smoke when it finally ran.

Here's an interesting part. this is the first time it happened. High idle kicked down, waited a few minutes after that and started down the road. I just shifted into 3rd gear and it was accelerating fine, but it felt funny, like my foot wasn't on the pedal all the way..then it kind of coughed and acclerated like normal. been fine every since minus some more smoke merging on the highway (flat, unloaded, not a fast and furious style merging, just getting up to speed normally)

edit: ps. when its 50 degrees or more outside, it starts perfect everytime. cranks MAYBE second and she's off to the races. if that means anything to y'all

It sounds like an air leak to me. The stumble then cough is the air getting pushed out.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking down from a birds eye of the motor, i see a puddle and remanents of some fluid tucked behind the oil filler. i'll try to get a picture and maybe you could help figure out where it could be coming from. I don't have a sense of smell or taste so i can't do a smell test :(

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
if you have trouble reaching it with a rag tell your wife you need a ******.:rotflmao
yes they do work for them tight to reach places.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha. I forgot i was going to look at a new house this weekend and didn't get to toy with it much other than drying the puddle today. Haven't looked again, but damn it gave me hell trying to start today! Must have took 3 tries to get it to go. :( I just want to find a general idea of the problem before the shop looks at it for 2 weeks like they always do. I'll call jasper for some ideas too if nothing any of you all pointed out seems to be the culprit. I also went to the parts store to get some hose to fix my shower heads...they didn't have any diesel rated hose so that plan was delayed as well.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I'd get the timing check on it. Hard starting, smoke and bad fuel mileage sound like retarded timing to me. If the timing was set properly and it now reads way low, it could be the advance piston is sticking in the IP, could be the fuel pressure regulator not working in the IP either. You could try a liter/quart of Dextron ATF in full fuel tank. But you shouldn't have to do that. That is supposed to be a new IP right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be a new rebuilt pump form a less than desireable rebuilder too. If it came from Mel or Rus we would know what its made out of.. a completely no hassle warrenty thats for sure. A dropin engine is supposed to be just that. Drop it in. Oil it up. fuel it up and drive it.. Not all this farting around to make something bad into something good.. Whats your time worth.. Oh, thats right.. Nothing because the sellers of the engine wont give you squat for your time and frustration.. For me they would need to suck a bowling ball thru a garden hose before I would trust them to do the right business thing. This continues to be a reallt sad mess where nobody really wants to help out the customer...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thoughts on a drop in engine. It should start and run nice before its acceptable to me. You shouldn't have to be putting up with a hard starting issue.

I hope they make it right but this type of deal is why people don't trust "professionals".

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, if i dropped 6k on an engine it better be not near perfect, but PERCECT! hard start issue i would **** a brick.
in fact, doenst matter how much or how little you spent, you brought it to "professionals" to get a nice running truck, you should get that in return!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online