Diesel n00b! 89 f250 7.3L idi - A couple Q's

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you do need the entire pickup sender tank unit then yes... They are hard to find and really expensive too. But if its just the suction broken off of it then do as posted. Add a short length of fuel rated hose to reach the bottom of the tank. Otherwise you run out of fuel with a 1/4 tank left because the factory pickup is broken off. Whatever you do don't install a factory plastic pickup on the suction line in the tank. It will break off again. Then you are dropping the tank a second time... That suxs when it still has 1/4 tank of fuel in it. Usually a 3 to 4 inch piece of hose works fine. The oem suction head looks kinda like a shower head with a screen on it. You really don't need the screen anyway. Remember that all diesel pumps at any station has a filter on the discharge line to your truck...

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They ordered a new tank, so I assume its the entire assembly that needs to be found

Last edited:

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, this situation just keeps getting more and more hairy.
The dealer called me again, they told me the AC compressor is shot, and that they couldnt find the fuel sending unit for the front tank either.
They basically offered me a 200$ discount because of this. I looked up ac kits from napa, and i found one for 270$ with everything (reman compressor, new drier, orifice tube, pag oil and flush oil)
So I'm gonna ask for 300$ off instead.

Now going back to this tank dilemma.. does anyone know where I can find one of these sending units? the NAPA guy suggested an aftermarket gauge and sending unit for 40$ that he sells.. would that be a good idea?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump, Ive been searching and came across this thread:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22425

so basically my next move is to find out what resistance values my 89 has @full and @empty, and then I can find the correct aftermarket sending unit and just bolt it to the tank and wire it up correct?
Sorry for all the n00b questions, but this tank issue is concerning to me, especially considering the rear tank sending unit is likely bad too (fuel gauge jumps all over the place)

So finding a cheaper aftermarket alternative that DOESNT require aftermarket gauges would be the most ideal for me.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come again?
I thought The fuel sending units were VERY costly and not NLA from Ford?

I just checked LMC, and they list them for 180$!!!! :eek:

I liked the idea of fixing both fuel tank sending units for under 100$ with aftermarket sending units that work with my stock gauge :)
If theres a simpler and just as cost effective option out there, I'm all ears.
It just seems like all the articles out there are for 86 and earlier models.. hence my confusion with my 89'

Thanks

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! LMC is only the best bathroom reading ever!

Seriously, http://www.lmctruck.com. They have a lot of stuff. Keep your eye peeled, as it's not all the best deal by any means, particularly things like carbs and torque converters. But for things like sending units, it's great. I've got an ignition lock actuator on the way, and I've also gotten body panels and a bed floor which aren't the best but are perfectly serviceable.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 89' tanks in my 84 truck. The sending units in the 89 tanks are 145 ohms full / 22.5 ohms empty. IIRC 80-86 were 0ohms full / 60 ohms empty. Which means the gauge in my truck reads backwards; 3/4 tank on the gauge = empty / way to the left of empty = tank is full. An auto meter 5718 or equivalent would work for the 89 tanks. I'd use the stock gauge if you could.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sending units did you use? My intent is to use the stock fuel gauge
I really dont want shell out 180$ for ONE sending unit.. Is there any JC Whitney sending unit that would work with the stock fuel gauge on an 89?

I know the rear tank sending unit is going to need replacing too, seeing as how the gauge didnt seem to work correctly.

EDIT: I'm browsing jc whitney and came across this universal float sending unit
http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-fuel-level-float/p2005714.jcwx

They have 3 options for ohms resistance

Adjustable Fuel Level Float for All Vehicles with Stewart-Warner Fuel Gauges with 240-33 ohms resistance SKU #:
1JA 128526
Mfr. #:
100438P

Add to Cart Adjustable Fuel Level Float for Chrysler and Ford vehicles, 78-10 ohms resistance SKU #:
1JA 128525
Mfr. #:

Add to Cart Adjustable Fuel Level Float for General Motors Vehicles, 0-90 ohms resistance SKU #:
1JA 132950
Mfr. #:
100436P

Would the 240-33 ohms work on the 89 f250?
Help a guy out here, I'm trying to find a sending unit that isnt 180$ and will work on my stock fuel gauge :(

Last edited:

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think anyone would ask :D

I have a 94 accord and Its going to undergo a complete rebuild and repaint. I had an accident (someone cut me off) which pushed in my rad support.. Insurance wrote off the car, but I'm yanking the motor and all body panels and towing it to my friends shop to have it restored. I'll be rebuilding the motor myself..
Sorry, no altezzas or ricer exhausts here. ;Really
230k on the odometer and still going (even though the front end is smashed in)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin