Diesel 4x4 ZF-5 out of a '91 F-Superduty $600

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Diesel 4x4 ZF-5 out of a '91 F-Superduty $600--SOLD

SOLD it today. ;Sweet

This trans is 100% good. It is out of my own truck and all the synchros work like new as well as reverse. I was saving this as a known good spare for my current rig, but right now I could use the money. Fits F250 & F350 4x4 and F-Superduty. I am willing to sell all the swap parts if needed also. I will sell just the trans for $600 cash. I can deliver the Trans for 65 cents per mile 1 way from 44133.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude ...... you got a T-case to go with it? I want that trans but I got no moneys until the spring now ..... stupid slow season ........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
post a pic of the build plate. if it is a real F-450 trans, it will have the deep first and reverse. those familiar with it, will be all over over the trans.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how often you come across this stuff? Like I said....... I got enough to keep the bills paid through the winter ....... won't be any extra money until spring

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Do u still have this trans? My friends E4OD went out, and she needs everything to convert he truck over to 5 spd. How much do u want for everything?

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I will sell the trans, shifter, dual mass flywheel, clutch, t/o bearing, pedals, master, slave and hose for $900.

I can strap it to a pallet and ship it by freight if need be.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
post a pic of the build plate. if it is a real F-450 trans, it will have the deep first and reverse. those familiar with it, will be all over over the trans.

Calvin, you keep saying the F-superdutys trans have a lower 1st gear, but I have seen 3 ZF5 S-42 in or out of F-superdutys and have nothing but the 4:14 1st gear. What gear are you saying is in them?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin, you keep saying the F-superdutys trans have a lower 1st gear, but I have seen 3 ZF5 S-42 in or out of F-superdutys and have nothing but the 4:14 1st gear. What gear are you saying is in them?
brad-
there is a option where you can get a 5.72 first gear. the internals are completely different compared to a 4.14 geared trans. we do have some really raunchy paved hills here, so I suspect the trucks with the deep first is a regional special order thing. I not looking to get into an argument with you about this, if you want one, I'lll just simply declare that "you win". ;Sweet
everyone else-
For those who are looking for a deeper 1st, keep looking under 88-97 F450's and check the build plate. the problem is many of these transmissions are lost due to leaking PTO's and if you have a shop shoving in a 4x4 trans, you loose the deep first. Only time a driver will miss one of these trans is when he's loaded to gross and needs to get moving on a hill.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
brad-
there is a option where you can get a 5.72 first gear. the internals are completely different compared to a 4.14 geared trans. we do have some really raunchy paved hills here, so I suspect the trucks with the deep first is a regional special order thing. I not looking to get into an argument with you about this, if you want one, I'lll just simply declare that "you win". ;Sweet
everyone else-
For those who are looking for a deeper 1st, keep looking under 88-97 F450's and check the build plate. the problem is many of these transmissions are lost due to leaking PTO's and if you have a shop shoving in a 4x4 trans, you loose the deep first. Only time a driver will miss one of these trans is when he's loaded to gross and needs to get moving on a hill.

No argument necessary. I guess you could special order the lower 1st gear?DOes that change the rest of the gears, like the gasser trans ratios?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No argument necessary. I guess you could special order the lower 1st gear?DOes that change the rest of the gears, like the gasser trans ratios?
the guts are completely different. the physical size of the gears make them a all or nothing deal. no interchange. I've torn down enough of these transmissions over the years. fortunately, if you're missing the build plate, all is not lost since the gears have individual ZF numbers on them.