Didn't want to post just yet

pafixitman

Reaction score
You got the pump and return lines? It would be ideal since Mel could time it after the install. Given the people that will be there, they should be able to get it done. Sorry to say I will not be one of them.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
You got the pump and return lines? It would be ideal since Mel could time it after the install. Given the people that will be there, they should be able to get it done. Sorry to say I will not be one of them.

I don't have anything right now. But I have a line on a rebuilt pump through a member on here for $250 (would have to ship) or I can pick up an IP from AutoZone for $400, so I should definitely be able to have an IP pre-rally.

Where would I get the return lines? Is it just fuel line like I can buy in bulk? Couldn't find it online at my 3 regular shops (AutoZone, Advanced, and RockAuto). Would it be something found at the bottom of the page here: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/0103.asp ?

I'd love to get it timed up right and learn a thing or two, or three, or more ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Try MWFI.com for the return lines. You're close so they should only take a day to get em to ya. Great service and close.;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Injector install kit part #OTHDPE69120 from MWFI is what you need for big ugly.;Sweet

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Injector install kit part #OTHDPE69120 from MWFI is what you need for big ugly.;Sweet
Ok, thanks. "Big ugly" :rotflmao that's what my wife and I have called it since we bought it :rotflmao

I sent an email to Bryant at MWFI asking a ton of questions, hopefully I hear back from them. If so, and I can get it by the wife :backoff I'll likely be ordering the injector install kit, pump install kit, Isspro EGT gauge, and 1/2 gallon of the Stanadyne Performance Jr. additive....whew, that's a tall order cookoo I asked if there was a OB member discount too LOL

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Should be making my order here this week, and then next week I'll be ordering the IP from DieselRecon. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it to the rally :( But after reading Mel's fuel servicing article and looking at the Haynes it looks like something I should be able to do without to much -cuss Then I'll be looking for someplace to time it up for me right, thought about calling Columbus Diesel Supply (http://www.columbusdieselsupply.com/) and seeing if they would do it :dunno

Got a chance to look at the steering, didn't see the "rag joint" at all, but the play looked to be coming from the gear box...input shaft turns so far, and the outputs didn't turn nearly as far. So I'm guessing I should start at the backlash adjustment screw? Found this method to adjusting it (http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/0a/9f/55/0900823d800a9f55.jsp) but was wondering if anyone could put that into common english for me LOL If not I can just follow the directions to a "T" and I'm sure I won't screw it up too bad ;Really

Also seems the DMF noise is getting worse upon neutral idle (almost always hold the clutch in now b/c of noise) and there is a different noise even with the clutch pedal depressed at idle, seems to fit the bill for a bad DMF according to what I've read as it goes away with a little of the accelerator pedal. As it's been a while since I've been in a RWD standard transmission vehicle and never did a clutch/flywheel job on that one (1962 Studebaker Lark, my first car) I ask that you take it easy on me. I assume I have to drop the transmission for the work to be done, I've got family with a tranny jack and lots of wrench turning experience so we can likely couple his know-how and my young body to get the job done LOL But what do I need to buy? I'm assuming it would be worthwhile to replace the clutch and everything while taking care of the DMF failure, right? Which should I go with, I'm a little confused, would it be better to buy the whole SMF kit for $575 (http://www.clutchcityonline.com/dualMassFlywheel.htm) or do I do the "Lucky" mod and get just the clutch kit? If I do the "Lucky" mod do I get the DMF clutch kit (http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/07-076.shtml) for $185 or the SMF one (http://www.clutchcityonline.com/dualMassFlywheel.htm) for $325?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the hard to get into 1st and rev problem sounds like the pressure plate is not releasing the clutch all the way, and for the noise at idle with the clutch released, and when you push the clutch in the noise changes it could be the clutch release bearing (throw out bearing) going out on you too. and as for me if im going to change a clutch and go through all the trouble of pulling it down might as well do it all while its down than have to go back into it again a little later on. change clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and would bring the flywheel somewhere and have it resurfaced. as for as the slack in the steering i would almost bet its the rag joint thats your prob. didnt you say that the power steering was leaking real bad before you bought the truck, if so the power steering fluid will really do a number on the rag joint. mine was so bad it was a job in its self to keep the truck on the road, and if it is the rag joint i would change it asap. when my tire blew out at 70mph there was nothing i could do but hit the ditch not to fun.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
with the hard to get into 1st and rev problem sounds like the pressure plate is not releasing the clutch all the way, and for the noise at idle with the clutch released, and when you push the clutch in the noise changes it could be the clutch release bearing (throw out bearing) going out on you too. and as for me if im going to change a clutch and go through all the trouble of pulling it down might as well do it all while its down than have to go back into it again a little later on. change clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and would bring the flywheel somewhere and have it resurfaced. as for as the slack in the steering i would almost bet its the rag joint thats your prob. didnt you say that the power steering was leaking real bad before you bought the truck, if so the power steering fluid will really do a number on the rag joint. mine was so bad it was a job in its self to keep the truck on the road, and if it is the rag joint i would change it asap. when my tire blew out at 70mph there was nothing i could do but hit the ditch not to fun.
Okay, seems to make enough sense to me. Does a "clutch kit" come with all that stuff (pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing)? Which clutch would I order if I want to do the "Lucky" mod to the DMF, or should I just order the $575 Luk SMF conversion clutch kit?

Like I said I couldn't find this "rag joint", anyone have a picture of it's location or could describe about how far down the steering shaft it is? I'll take another look tonight when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the continued help :thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the $575 LUK kit includes those extra bearings, but it might. I've never bought one. Naturally, if you have that kind of money to throw at the problem, it's a no-brainer. The Lucky Mod is the affordable alternative for those who can't afford the LUK.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I'm not sure the $575 LUK kit includes those extra bearings, but it might. I've never bought one. Naturally, if you have that kind of money to throw at the problem, it's a no-brainer. The Lucky Mod is the affordable alternative for those who can't afford the LUK.

So, if I'm reading the "Lucky" mod right I use the DMF clutch with it. So I could order this for $185 and then drill out and bolt up the DMF and I'd be good to go? Just a question for those who've done the "Lucky" mod, about how hard would you rate it (like say 1 is filling the gas tank/changing air filter, 10 is removing and rebuilding engine)?

It's much easier for me to part with $185 than $575 ;Really

OR

Is it worth the extra to have a Luk clutch? Don't know if it has any differences with an OEM replacement, maybe a little more heavy duty, just don't know much about manual transmission upgrades.

Last edited:

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Flushing and filling the cooling system with a good green low-silicate antifreeze, and adding SCA's is on the list of recommended best practices of things to do when you get a new to you truck. It would be an ideal time to swap out that thermostat and the piece of mind you get will be worth more than the cost of the part IMO.

I'm going to flush/fill the coolant out as soon as I get a chance. I'm going to pick up the Napa 186*F thermostat and go with all SCA pre-added coolant. Guess after changing the oil/filter and seeing it was almost a gallon low :eek: I'm not putting anything up to chance (new Rotella T and psd filter). Fuel filter hopefully today (fill with PowerService Plus), drain and refill/overfill the tranny tomorrow hopefully (SAE40).

I don't have my manual on me, is it 3.5 gallons of coolant? Haven't been to Napa for a while, do they carry a premixed SCA coolant, anyone know?