Dealer installed AC?

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m diving into the non-functional AC in the 250. Now this truck is a base model, no options other than Diesel and apparently AC.

The truck has a second blower motor under the dash on the passenger side, which is non-functional.

the belt on the AC compressor has the belt pulled, but it spins freely.

Is this indeed dealer installed AC, or is it some retrofit? Anywhere to start in troubleshooting? I’m going to start on figuring out if power is getting to that motor.

thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that is some kind of dealer/non factory AC.

Factory A/C would have not been the A/C Heat Defrost on the Control

It would have been Max A/C Vent Floor Defrost

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that is some kind of dealer/non factory AC.

Factory A/C would have not been the A/C Heat Defrost on the Control

It would have been Max A/C Vent Floor Defrost

thats kinda what I was thinking.

is there any way to figure out if I’ve got a dealer-installed option?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find the build sheet tucked under the seat/floor mat that would tell you. Is this truck from MN? Maybe the extra blower was to help get more heat in the cab in winter? I don't know much about the options back in '86 but if this truck is a base model maybe A/C Heat Defrost were a step in between heat/defrost only and all the options. That blower wouldn't be for some kind of diesel fired arctic heater hidden up above it would it?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the compressor and evaporator look like?

I'm guessing if you have dash vents it was a fancy dealer add on that pushed air after the "vent" was closed. In my bullnose that is non ac and no dash vents when you slide to the far left you can feel the selector shut entirely some door in the piping and no air gets forced in from driving. I'd guess your second blower motor gets activated when that door is shut on what usually was "off" and pushes air through the vents anyways in a complicated but kinda clever way of not having to add an under dash box entirely like I did in mine. Then the heater core is out of the equation and you are always on max ac re-circulating cabin air.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few dealer installed AC units in these trucks over the years and all of them had the Ford emblem on the control panel like that, so I'm guessing that's what yours is too.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find the build sheet tucked under the seat/floor mat that would tell you. Is this truck from MN? Maybe the extra blower was to help get more heat in the cab in winter? I don't know much about the options back in '86 but if this truck is a base model maybe A/C Heat Defrost were a step in between heat/defrost only and all the options. That blower wouldn't be for some kind of diesel fired arctic heater hidden up above it would it?

it’s originally an Idaho truck so I’m told. I’ve survived every nook and cranny of the single cab and no build sheet unfortunately. It does say “HI OUTPUT” on the heater core/blower fan module from the engine bay side.
What's the compressor and evaporator look like?

I'm guessing if you have dash vents it was a fancy dealer add on that pushed air after the "vent" was closed. In my bullnose that is non ac and no dash vents when you slide to the far left you can feel the selector shut entirely some door in the piping and no air gets forced in from driving. I'd guess your second blower motor gets activated when that door is shut on what usually was "off" and pushes air through the vents anyways in a complicated but kinda clever way of not having to add an under dash box entirely like I did in mine. Then the heater core is out of the equation and you are always on max ac re-circulating cabin air.

this one has the separate blower fan for the AC. When the selector is moved to A/C, the windshield and foot ducts close and the ducts pointed towards the passengers are open. Also, there’s a weird little momentary switch that gets pushed by the control wire when it gets pushed to AC. My guess is that’s the trigger for the compressor. I’ll have to get a belt and see what it does.

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 85s the same way except for completely separate AC controls. Before it quit I could literally run AC and heat on high at the same time. If you find a part number for the under dash fan motor let me know:Thumbs Up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin