Dead 7.3 out finally(sigh)

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those interested, I finally got the dead 7.3 out of my '93 crewcab. I only wanted the flexplate off it to put on the 6.9 that I'm putting back in there. It was running just before I started to yank it, but makin' a helluva noise, and missing on at least one...

We managed to lift the whole engine up/over the grill etc, although one guy had to stand on the rear wheels of the hoist to prevent it from going over while the other 2 of us pushed the truck out from underneath. I've no idea how we're going to get the new engine in there...

You can see the dead engine in the back of my '86 and the flexplate sitting on the grill.

Here's a couple of interested pics(probably a bit large for you guys on dialup, but I don't know how to make them smaller...)

..Flexplate recovery..

Here might be a clue to what's wrong with the dead engine...
..Bent pushrods..

I have the old 7.3 home, but didn't get time to pull the heads and try figure out what killed it, or if it is fixable. I'll take more pics as I rip into it this week, and see if I can find out what happened to it...

Zigg :)

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Its always good to be making progress. I looked at the picture of "flexplate recovery" and I don't think that skinny guy is going to make that F series move very fast.
On the serious side, I pulled a 6.9 a few years ago and I was working solo. I also lifted the engibe above the radiator support. I had a little problem with an uneven working area that I had level ed with a sheet of plywood. One of the front wheels of the hoist fell off the plywood and I lifted it back on by levering it back on with a 2X4. What I did not notice was that started the whole mass of the engine swaying, ever so slightly. The wheel came off again, so I repeated the procedure. What I did not appreciate was that incresed the swinging of that VERY heavy engine. I soon realized that the pendulum effect was out of control, and the engine's pendulum effect was increasing and out of control. It ended up crashing over the right hand fender onto the driveway, just nicking the top of the fender in the process. The fall broke the right exhaust manifold as well as the oil pan.
The lesson learned is----remove the radiator support, or have enough help and watch it carefully.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. That picture is pretty classic. LOL Sounds like that engine developed "LVS" or Lewis Vacation Syndrome.