DB2 vs DB4 pump

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So iv seen high flow db2 pumps and I seen high flow db4 pumps for these engines. Is one better than the other if so what is better.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless youre doing a complete build, with custom parts, and lots of cash, a DB4 will not benefit you.

DB4's are intended to flow as much fuel as possible. for a traditional rotary pump

which intercooling among other mods will be required to use it correctly and not burn your engine up.

for the majority, a DB2 will work just fine, as only a hand full of people use a IP hotter than 110 cc's

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
unless youre doing a complete build, with custom parts, and lots of cash, a DB4 will not benefit you.

DB4's are intended to flow as much fuel as possible. for a traditional rotary pump

which intercooling among other mods will be required to use it correctly and not burn your engine up.

for the majority, a DB2 will work just fine, as only a hand full of people use a IP hotter than 110 cc's
Absolutely. I'd basically consider a DB4 as a racing pump. Plus it's only a very small percentage of the handful that use more than a 110cc pump that will use a DB4.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can run that pump as long as you have a big enough turbo to supply enough air. Otherwise, it's kind of a waste since you'd have to turn the fuel down to keep the EGT's under control. I'd suggest talking with whoever you're planning to buy the IP from and get his recommendations. Be honest (with yourself) about what you want to do and you'll get a good answer from your supplier.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be using enough turbo to clean up the fuel either pump could put out. Really I'm not sure what I'll end up doing it's between modifying the idi(the easiest and cheapest) a Cummins swap but in a super duty (most expensive/ can just buy all bolt in stuff) or the best of the best a dt466 swap (most difficult). I would want the idi around 400whp and still be tow freindly. Cummins around 500hp and dt466 making 1400trk as that's the highest rating for 14in clutches.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that would be awsome. I'm thinking of long-term reliability I don't think an idi would last very long at these high hp levels. A 150cc pump should be good for 400hp and even at that up I'm not sure if would last more than 75k-100k miles of course I don't know I'm just guesing. I seen a Cummins that had been putting out close to 500hp for 150k miles and was still going strong. I'm sure the dt466 would outlive me before it wore out.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Building a better db2

Have you read through this thread and have you searched this site for DB4 there's many discussions, most of the ones that involve people actually getting one don't have a happy ending for the time and money involved. Wes has DB2s putting out 130+ through the entire power band now if I remember right and for way less money than DB4 parts.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be using enough turbo to clean up the fuel either pump could put out. Really I'm not sure what I'll end up doing it's between modifying the idi(the easiest and cheapest) a Cummins swap but in a super duty (most expensive/ can just buy all bolt in stuff) or the best of the best a dt466 swap (most difficult). I would want the idi around 400whp and still be tow freindly. Cummins around 500hp and dt466 making 1400trk as that's the highest rating for 14in clutches.

I will tell you now 400whp ( that is 450hp+ at crank good luck ) and tow friendly your asking alot out of a 7.3 idi your running on the razors edge of disaster 325hp and below is what it would take to be tow friendly trust me I know once you go to far the motor lifespan drops to nothing and reliability / drive ability also falls off a cliff our engines crank and bearing support system in block was never designed for that much HP you would have to girdle it and run power stroke rods and likely have custom made pistons and we are not even getting into the issue with the flame cups in the head there is a limit to how much fuel you can inject into them before you throw the mix so far off that it quenches the ignition pulse inside the flame cup in the head meaning iradic flame swirl into the ricardo cup in the piston meaning abnormal detonation which can = piston skirts slapping off the cylinder wall and well a a piston can knock a skirt off and wedge sideways in bore and your rod plays peekaboo out the side of your block.

Last edited:

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that would be awsome. I'm thinking of long-term reliability I don't think an idi would last very long at these high hp levels. A 150cc pump should be good for 400hp and even at that up I'm not sure if would last more than 75k-100k miles of course I don't know I'm just guesing. I seen a Cummins that had been putting out close to 500hp for 150k miles and was still going strong. I'm sure the dt466 would outlive me before it wore out.
I like the DT466 mechanical or the cat 3208 myself i like simplicity and well I used to love the cummins 5.9 12v but it has just became to popular and did I say expensive a few years back they were cheap but now OMG people want a mint for a wore out motor and if is a good motor add your right leg and arm and throw in your right ******** for good measure theyre the LS swap version of the diesel world but without the LS prices LS motors are cheap and plentifull the 5.9 cummins are not anymore.

for smaller trucks or vehicles I do the mercedes 300TD / 300d / 240d motor or the perkins turbo motors out of a welder / pump or genset and for really small vehicles i use the kubota 3 cylinder diesel I have done these builds / swaps so many times cannot count and I have transplanted our old IDI's also into other platforms many of which had very specific uses.

You must be registered for see images attach

That S10 with mercedes 300TD diesel is project me and a friend are still working on with E350 dually 180 gallons of onboard fuel and exhaust stacks along with fifth wheel / gooseneck hitch and regular hitch and a 69 ford bronco full posi front dif with custom 3/4 ton outers the bed is a f150 sport side fleet side from 1994 if remember correctly and much more.

Last edited:

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few more pictures of that project everyone said it cant be done well we both said with a cutting torch and a welder along with determination anything can be done. I want to point out that truck is being designed for alaska as a short shot truck long wheelbase trucks don't do so well on some of those roads / pig paths there and add to it the fact short wheel base + fifth wheel or goose neck you got alot more agility / maneuverability especially with a short trailer and alot better weight distribution meaning more even traction and less risk of high centering in snow and such.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
theyre the LS swap version of the diesel world but without the LS prices
I've said the first part of this many times, but you sure completed the sentence.:Thumbs Up
I was told that I couldn't put a diesel in a Bronco. I just told them that not only could it be done, it would basically be a bolt in process. A few months later, I showed them that I was right.