Date 6.9L Was Introduced

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had a copy of the press release for the intro of the '83 Ford diesel, which was in 1982, but I can't find it. Does anyone have one and can tell me the month?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask Mel I believe he had the first in pa he had it ordered in 82 I believe recieved in like June of 83

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That sounds about right.. Its true that Mel has the oldest rig in this or any other ford diesel forum.. But you would never know that just by looking at it....-Drool:hail:sly

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the initial press release/introduction was in 1982 and that's the date I'm looking for. It ain't on the web that I have found. I've dug thru all my Four Wheelers (I have '62-currnet) and some of my other '80s stuff and found mentions but not the official release date but I'm still looking.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1981 while employed at the Lima OH Ford engine plant we heard that Ford was dealing with International Harvester to build Diesel engines for the F series trucks. In 1982 IH was renamed Navistar, and they did start to build the Diesel engines for Ford for the 1983 Model year. It could have been in late 1981 that there was a press release about it. We wondered how much it would cut into our 460 build. Yup, been retired from there since 1987, almost as long as I worked there. :D