Dana 70HD...

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Well, I swapped out my 10.25 with 4.10's for a Dana 70HD with 3.55's. Its super rusty and I need to take the drums off but they are frozen on the hub. Might have to get a puller. Who knew that these ad reverse threads on them? Took me about 5 minutes of pulling, twisting and staring at the stud to realize its reverse threaded....not cool.

Any suggestions of what things I should do to prep for installation?

What size U bolts do I need?

thanks

Thad

Last edited:

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
If it still has reverse threads, likely early to mid 80's. The whole hub comes off and the drum attached to the back of the hub.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I already almost beat the crap out of it. Guess I should have asked first. Now I know.

I also need new brake lines on the axle. Both of them are rusted on the axle I got. Any suggestions? Is there any difference between them and the sterling?

What should I do since there is no speed sensor?

Thad

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Big advantage of the later axles..... No need to remove axle shafts and hubs to get to the drums! With that in mind, I have heard the hubs and brake set up can be changed between the two so wou could get the brakes off the sterling. I do not know if it will actually work.

Now would also be a good time to get rid of the LH threaded studs.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
What were the gear options on the 70HD? I was told this one has 3.55's but I just am curious.

The only things I can read on the tag are 41A ANO on the top left and -5 LS on the bottom left. Maybe that helps?

Thad

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Technically Dana gears are 3.54 and 4.11 for the D70.

Ford gears are 3.55 and 4.10, silly yes but that's what it is.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
You can check the bill of material on the Dana website, of course the gears could have also been changed at some time.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Usually the head of one of the bolts covers the part of the gear ratio.
Like if it was a 3:55 Limited slip you would see the bolt head then L55. The bolt would be covering the 3

As for swapping the outers of a sterling onto a D70. Its not gonna happen. different bearings.

And like other have said, you need to remove the axle shaft(8 bolts), the wheel bearing nut(possibly a locking mechanism:dunno), inner wheel bearing, then the drum and hub assem