Dana 60 Q's

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey guys, while I figure out my motor problems I have been looking at doing a dana 60 swap for a while for 2wd 1993 TIB.

I can get a complete 1993 Dana 60 front axle out of an f350 for $750 with 4.10's.
Or I can get a 2010 complete rolling chassis, no drive train with a sterling 10.5 rear and coil sprung dana 60 front with 3.73's for $2500

How hard would it be to do the 2010 axles when I'm already coil sprung? Is there away to make the 1993 dana 60 coil sprung?

I'm just looking for the easiest thing to do right now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would do the '10 stuff.
Likely has a locker. Is a different wheel pattern. And you may have to go up wheel size to clear the brakes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coil spring buckets on the IDI frame won't be in the ideal location, so they will probably have to be replaced as well. But from what I've seen, the coil sprung superduty swap is actually really easy. As an added bonus, you'll get better brakes out of the deal.

I might go this route with my truck some day, if I can find a 3.31 set.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
So its either relocate buckets for 2010 and make completely custom brackets. Whats all involved converting TIB to dana 60 of same year in 93? That seems like it would be easier. Is there a right up on someone going from TIB to coil sprung dana 60? Is the dana 60 the same from 05-2010?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one:

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/not-your-average-dana-60-swap.72385/

Here's another:

http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9303&showall=1

And many more online. It seems to be a popular option lately due to an increasing parts availability. Coil sprung superduty front ends are at the right age for prime wrecking, and there area LOTS of superduties coming to the end of their life cycle.

The coil sprung setup offers better ride, tighter turning circle, bigger brakes, beefier steering components, etc.

If you take the brackets from the superduty, the most involving part is drilling holes to bolt them to the OBS frame.

To go with the correct era leaf sprung Dana60 on a factory 2wd TIB truck, you will need to do some modding of the front frame rails in order to mount the front shackles. Then you need to box the front frame rail on the passenger side (as per OEM). Some guys build a custom front cross member instead, and/or run a shackle reverse.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Here's one:

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/not-your-average-dana-60-swap.72385/

Here's another:

http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9303&showall=1

And many more online. It seems to be a popular option lately due to an increasing parts availability. Coil sprung superduty front ends are at the right age for prime wrecking, and there area LOTS of superduties coming to the end of their life cycle.

The coil sprung setup offers better ride, tighter turning circle, bigger brakes, beefier steering components, etc.

If you take the brackets from the superduty, the most involving part is drilling holes to bolt them to the OBS frame.

To go with the correct era leaf sprung Dana60 on a factory 2wd TIB truck, you will need to do some modding of the front frame rails in order to mount the front shackles. Then you need to box the front frame rail on the passenger side (as per OEM). Some guys build a custom front cross member instead, and/or run a shackle reverse.
I see some with the 05-07 but the 08+ seems a lot different with frame design and everything. Hmmm

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Should be able to get those 05+ diffs for less if you shop around. My 07's were $500ish. $2500 for a chassis better be F450/550 incl. wheels.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Should be able to get those 05+ diffs for less if you shop around. My 07's were $500ish. $2500 for a chassis better be F450/550 incl. wheels.
Im sure I coupd talk him down to $2k, hes had it forever. $2k doesnt seem bad for a whole chassis with all brake lines, power steering, tanks, literally has everything but cab, bed, motor, tranny, and tcase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online