Dana 60 Kingpin Overhaul

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
The D 60 is near ready to go to the sandblaster to get the rust and scale knocked off--then the fun begins.

I have been reading in my old Haynes manual, and am wondering how I am going to to put up between 500 and 600 foot pounds :eek: of torque to get the upper kingpin off, then the new one seated with a like amount of force.

I plan on doing the rebuild with the axle on jack stands sitting in my garage.

What experience do you have to share on generating that much force. I wonder if that would move the axle around on the stands!

I have an air compressor and an impact wrench--but I think with only 125psi even at WFO I will come well short of what is required.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

tenlug

Reaction score
I've been thur a few 60's and haven't seen any that needed a new upper king pin. The upper "bearing" is nylon so it wears and the spring above it weakens. If you want to change em a 7/8" allen wrench and a 4 foot cheater bar will do the trick but you'llhave to tie the housing down. My 3/4" gun won't bust em loose but my buddies 1" gun will. Steve

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Can I change out the nylon "bearing" and spring assembly and leave the kingpin in place if it is OK?

Thanks.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
gabby, yes you can. Most folks only change out the king pin itself if its really pitted or worse. I haven't seen many that I needed to replace. I have a big 1 in pop gun and it gets them out. I hadnt seen the kit that was mentioned by krawlr before though. I allways pieced out the order. Good find Krawlr.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Magoo and others--thanks. Will let you know how it goes.....Glad that the odds are for a decent upper king pin.