Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by david85, Nov 7, 2019.
I think it was $50 CAD for a gallon but I can double check. It goes a really long ways though.
This the stuff? Just under $50USD for a gallon on Amazon.
That be it. Judging by the reviews, it looks like I'm not the only one who likes it.
Still waiting on my rockauto parts order but the axle housing is painted now. It turned out good enough.
Quick question about the brake dust shields for the front disks. Mine are a bit mangled and rusty so I'd like to replace them. I read on another forum that the Dana 50 brake shields are interchangeable with the Dana 60 type. But another source says that are NOT interchangeable...
Can anyone maybe clarify?
I'm able to find used Dana 50 dust shields on flea-bay but the 60s are elusive.
The 50 shields and hubs are the same, and I believe the spindles and outer stub shafts are as well. When I swapped a 60 into my truck I reused the shields off of my old 50 because they were in better condition.
50 stubs are shorter and wrong ujoint. 50 spindles are shorter (on the backside) but can be used on 60 knuckles that have cast-in caliper mounts.
I suspect there's a shield difference with the brake change for 94-/95+... maybe that's part of the D50/60 shield confusion.
The rotors are a touch larger for 95 up as well. I'm tempted to just run without them because there's no way I'm paying $300CAD for a set of dana 60 dust shields by they time shipping and duties get through with me. Maybe I'll have another look at my old ones...
I've run several vehicles without the shields. I personally wouldn't spend a small fortune on them but if they were reasonably priced I'd get them.
Yep, I had forgotten they changed the calipers sometime around the mid 90s. That's probably why they show a different shield.
which 50 are ya talking about the twin traction or the mono beam
Twin Traction beam. the Superduty style dust shields appear to be completely different (And much easier to find )
Remember those spindles that got bashed and chiseled by some previous mechanic? Well, I cleaned them up a little. I only shaved off about 5 thou to make sure all the high spots were removed.
I'm liking the lathe though. Automatic axial and cross feed comes in handy (ok, maybe it was just an excuse to use it)
Slow and not so steady:
New ball joints all around
Knuckles back on
Carrier removed and inspected (nothing replaced)
New differential seals *
New spindle seals and needle bearings
New axle stub dust seals
Spindles back on (note the grease and neverseeze)
And I won't be using any rotor dust shields. we'll see how it goes but if it becomes an issue, I'll keep an eye out for new shields.
*The seals caused me some grief. Apparently I pressed one of them in wrong and then forced it. You can see the result of the damaged one having a nasty flare to it. Once that happened I could still press it in, but it wouldn't turn and I couldn't figure out why. Took me a while to figure out what happened but lesson learned (once again)...do not force parts together!
In the end, I decided against using the outer axle seal. After reading up on the idea, I realized that it would prevent drainage from inside the axle from ever happening, if water got in past the outer seal.
The only thing I would watch out for is if there's any issues with the spacing caused by the dust shields not being installed where they're supposed to be. As long as nothing binds or wears where it shouldn't you'll be fine, I've left them off many many vehicles after they rotted away.
You've got the same problem I do. "I knew better but...."
Separate names with a comma.