1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dana 60 going in...eventually

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by david85, Nov 7, 2019.

1. david85

david85 Full Access Member

Bike-Maker's thread is top notch stuff, and I seriously considered using SD axles. The heavier setup, better brakes and access to SD series rims (prime used parts these days) where all very tempting. The rear axle would of course have to be swapped to match.

But in the end, I scored an entire parts truck for under $700 CAD, which is about as cheap as these axles come in my neck in the woods. Wreckers still want almost twice that just for D60 front axle. And yes, I too heard aware of that 3.31 dana60 axle ratio, although I've never seen one in the flesh.

The front frame mod is the biggest hurdle of the job and I'm not looking forward to ripping that section out of the donor truck, let alone getting it into mine. But now that I'm this deep, I'll probably follow through with it.

As for spring rates, I seem to get as many different answers as I can find sources. So far I've seen: 2200, 2600, 3000 and now 3400 for the flat springs intended for D60 solid axle front ends. I read on one thread here at OBN that 2600 was too soft, so maybe go with middle of the road 3000lbs?:dunno

2. junk

junk Full Access Member

I put 99-04 super duty springs in the front of my 89 crewcab. I had to lengthen the front of the frame to handle their extra length. I used the 99-2004 mounts in the front and back. To use the back ones you have to trim off part of the cab mount. Overall not a bad swap. I think it was a good change.

I wanted a reverse shackle with no extra lift. My truck ended up at basically factory height.

3. u2slow

u2slow Plan B

The std F250 shaft (single cardan) works fine after shortening. BTDT.

You might be right about new TTB leafs with a monobeam... tired ones; nope - BTDT too.

4. david85

david85 Full Access Member

I still have everything for the double cardan, so I'll probably use it. I can't think of any reason not to.

5. Garbage_Mechan

Garbage_Mechan Garbage Mechanic

Yes. I have experienced vibration in 4 high above 30 mph without it. Makes running in the snow a pain.

david85 likes this.
  6. Jimbanjer

Jimbanjer Full Access Member

Subscribed! I’m working on my 4x4 conversion with Dana 60 swap too though a bit differently!

7. Garbage_Mechan

Garbage_Mechan Garbage Mechanic

I have studied this idea very closely but found a frame width difference on the area of the rear shackle mount. How did you compensate for this and wind up at the right spring spacing at the axle? 99-04 front springs are not parallel to each other. Could you post some pics? Very interested in this.

8. junk

junk Full Access Member

If you click the flickr link in my signature it should have pictures showing the front end mounts.

The springs aren't parallel. They are wider in the front. From what I read this actually helps the truck track better VS perfectly parallel springs. Something about keeping them preloaded. they aren't neutral and thus have to load up when turning. It drives good even when pulling 14K.