mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. A trashed out core in the northeast goes for $750 and up

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
read the fine print. it's a 2004 D60 he's asking about. $250 for the axle assy. if the cartridges are no good, add $300 for each side. at that point, everything else better be in great shape.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
read the fine print. it's a 2004 D60 he's asking about. $250 for the axle assy. if the cartridges are no good, add $300 for each side. at that point, everything else better be in great shape.

Plus they are 8x170mm, not 8x6.5, so you would need to swap the rear to match (which would gain you disk service brakes, and a "cat in the hat" drum parking brake) or carry 2 spares.

I have the D-50 Monobeam (99+ D-50 and D-60 Monobeams share many parts) in my 100% Stock Diesel Excursion, and in 170,000 miles only had to replace the unit hubs once, but like Calvin said, 200+ each side to get good ones (DO NOT GO CHEAP!) it has served me well. But unit hubs don't like oversized tires......

I've gone through my entire front end, and replaced all the "bolt on" parts (I've not been inside the differential), and have the steering linkages to go, and with me doing 99% of the work (had a driveline guy who is good friends with my Jeep Buddy replace the knuckle U-Joints, I took him the shafts, all he did was 2 U-Joints, I did everything else to get them in and out of the truck) I'm in a good bit.

I've replaced Brakes, rotors, 1 caliper bracket, both unit hubs, all the seals at both knuckles (vacuum and otherwise), Ball Joints (XRF Brand), Sway Bar End Links, Sway Bar Bracket Bushings, and steering stabilizer shock and I'm at close to $1,000, and still have to replace a damaged lockout (~$200) the steering linkages (~$450 (XRF Brand Kit, everything from Pitman Arm to the knuckles)) , and an alignment at the Old School Shop here in town (he can do Class 8 Trucks and down, and I think the only "computer" in the shop is in his pocket) (~$125)

So, if that axle is in the shape mine is, it's a steal!!!! If it's ratted out, just know it won't be any cheaper than finding a 97 Down D-60 and going through it. But, if you are looking for a bit bigger brakes, and a match for a 99+ Sterling 10.50 with disk brakes, this would be a start in the right direction. Plus the 3.73's are a nice compromise in gearing. I have the 3.73's in the Excursion, and 70mph is right at 2,000 RPM.....

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unit hubs
Hang on... Just asking, but is there any reasons why a unit-hub design is better than the old twin-bearing-with-nut design of, say, my Dana 50 TTB?

It sure seems like the older setup(at least with regards to the hubs) is /far/ better in that they seem to last basically forever if you keep grease in them.
Getting loose? Just tighten it up a bit and call it good.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hang on... Just asking, but is there any reasons why a unit-hub design is better than the old twin-bearing-with-nut design of, say, my Dana 50 TTB?

It sure seems like the older setup(at least with regards to the hubs) is /far/ better in that they seem to last basically forever if you keep grease in them.
Getting loose? Just tighten it up a bit and call it good.
i personally like the older setup. but on the newer axles, you don't have a choice UNLESS you are willing to spend $1200 for the conversion kit. F450's and F550's have the 19.5 tires and are much harder on cartridges, therefore, my maintence cycles is about 100k/mi to 150k/mi

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess would be easier on the assembly line. 4 nuts and the entire bearing/spindle is installed with no "specifications" to adhere to. 3 small parts and a snap ring and the stub shaft is in. A big "C-Ring" and the lockout is installed.

Since I've done mine once and know how, I can go from sitting on the tire, down to bear knuckle, and back to sitting on the tire in less than an hour. Need to do ball joints, make it 2 hours.......

The name of the game now is cost saving and ease of assembly. As long as the OEM part gets you past the expiration of the warranty, that's all that matters.

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I bought it.....Now my question is will this axel fit into my 84 ? Of course I’m removing the abs and going to manual lock outs it came with just about everything from steering stabilizer to draglinks and sway bars....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online