Damaging effects of running garbage fuels

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have no problem running WVO, I plan on doing so again this year, this will entail decent filtration/water separation via heat and other means.

I'd like to get my oil up to 3-400 degrees F and have a nozzle which spreads that out and sprays a thin mist of oil in a barrel so that heated water comes off like steam so to speak, then filter/centrifuge or some setup as that.

Mix with kereosene and have fuel for truck...CHEAP, CLEAN, fuel!

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What your posting makes economical sence. What works for some may not work for others is all I can say. I really would like to run something differant that diesel. But to do this I will need a refractory tower and a vacuum pump. Then send the waste motor oil thru the tower taking the overheads off. This is how gas, diesel or bunker grade oil is made. Its all in a process of towers taking off the material off the top of the towers and the bottoms off the bottom of the tower.. The heavies leave thru the bottom and they are generally thought of as trash unless thats what your refining for. Like if you are doing a dehydration cut where the water is boiled off the top and the bottoms are saved for later precessing as fuel. Then the bottoms are injected into the vacuum tower that has heat applied to a reboiler at the bottom side of the process and the tower is under vacuum. The vacuum allows the feed material to fractionate at a lower temp. the lites go up and the heavies go down. Its a little more complex than that with teps, inches of vacuum and feed rates but its a simple material fractionation proces to get what you want in the end product. The process will take the soot, water and metals out of the finished oil thats now a fuel. The oil refinerys have several takeoffs on many of the towers. The high grade white gasolene comes off very near the top where diesel comes off near the bottom. The lower the takeoff is the heavier and thicker the fuel is. In the power plants I worked in for many years the fuel oil burned in the boliers was called bunker grde oil. It had to be kept how to around 150 degrees because it forze solid at 102 degrees. It acted like hard butter when it froze up. All the oil lines had steam tracing on them. Thats a 3/8 or 1/3 inch copper tube under the lines and the insulation. Get that oil on your clothes and you throw them away. One guy thried to wash his oiled up pants at hom with hot water in the washing machine... Well it oiled up that machine so bad he had to buy another one... The wife was not happy either...

Or take 85 percent waste oil, 15 percent regular gas, mix, settle, filter, burn, repeat.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I think the point that is trying to be made here is "Don't run garbage fuel through your pump then when it starts having heat soak and excessive smoke and timing issues send it to Mel and expect him to magically make it new again"

This is why most reputable fuel component re-builders wait until they have your pump/injector/what-have-you to give you an estimate on repairs. Naturally someone who runs water or trash for fuel will have a steeper rebuild cost than someone who runs straight diesel.

Mel is making an honest effort to supply off-the-shelf pumps for those who need quick turn around, but if the core you send him is shot, and you received a good, rebuilt pump, that really is placing the burden of supplying quality parts onto either Mel, or the next guy who buys a pump.

I have a pump I ran trash fuel through for a while. It is now permanently retired and will not be used for anything but parts. That's my loss. I made the choice to run junk fuel through it, and I will not be trying to screw an honest man over by swapping it out for a good part at his loss.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the point that is trying to be made here is "Don't run garbage fuel through your pump then when it starts having heat soak and excessive smoke and timing issues send it to Mel and expect him to magically make it new again"

This is why most reputable fuel component re-builders wait until they have your pump/injector/what-have-you to give you an estimate on repairs. Naturally someone who runs water or trash for fuel will have a steeper rebuild cost than someone who runs straight diesel.

Mel is making an honest effort to supply off-the-shelf pumps for those who need quick turn around, but if the core you send him is shot, and you received a good, rebuilt pump, that really is placing the burden of supplying quality parts onto either Mel, or the next guy who buys a pump.

I have a pump I ran trash fuel through for a while. It is now permanently retired and will not be used for anything but parts. That's my loss. I made the choice to run junk fuel through it, and I will not be trying to screw an honest man over by swapping it out for a good part at his loss.

Also keep in mind, these pumps are getting to be around 30 years old now, and some may have been rebuilt 2-3 times. They aren't going to last forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US