Curious question - transmission fluid

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is some commercial/fleet fluid,universal ATF in nature, I have some 20 wt, comes in 6 gal pails, use in my ps also. Trans fluid is basically a hyd. oil with different addatives like type 4 says, think wet brake compatibility being the key here, I use Mobilefluid 424 also, Cant recall the cost, but better then buying qts at autoparts store.
http://swepcolube.com/sites/default..._transmission_fluid_sales_brochure_j11005.pdf

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As typ4 says about tractor Hydraulic fluid. I had a 67 Greyhound Bus that I converted to a MH. The engine was a Detroit 8V71, converted the manual transmission to an Allison V730, IIRC the trans. fluid recommended was Dexron. I blew a hose and lost most all trans fluid, A TSC store was close by so I bought 15 gallons of tractor hydraulic fluid, thinking I would change it when I got home. To my surprise, the trans seemed to run a lot cooler than with the ATF. Checking the temp between the two, the TSC HYD. fluid ran 80* cooler. I did 14 bus change over from manual to V730 auto, using the TSC tractor Hyd. fluid. Never a recall on any of them. The shifting seemed to be quicker and smoother.
@typ4 , what does your SIL(?) use in his?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never a recall on any of them.

Correction on one of the converted trans.
A guy from SC refused to stop and tighten a hose fitting that was inadvertently not tightened, came loose in Kentucky (after a 200 mile run), he called and said it was leaking, told him just to tighten it, he refused to stop at a truck repair and have it tightened. End results was he burned up the clutches. *** is the matter with some people. Sent me a bill for $6000 for an overhaul, never paid that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As typ4 says about tractor Hydraulic fluid. I had a 67 Greyhound Bus that I converted to a MH. The engine was a Detroit 8V71, converted the manual transmission to an Allison V730, IIRC the trans. fluid recommended was Dexron. I blew a hose and lost most all trans fluid, A TSC store was close by so I bought 15 gallons of tractor hydraulic fluid, thinking I would change it when I got home. To my surprise, the trans seemed to run a lot cooler than with the ATF. Checking the temp between the two, the TSC HYD. fluid ran 80* cooler. I did 14 bus change over from manual to V730 auto, using the TSC tractor Hyd. fluid. Never a recall on any of them. The shifting seemed to be quicker and smoother.
@typ4 , what does your SIL(?) use in his?

He is my Son and he uses tractor fluid.
good for 10psi hot over atf.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A knife and a fork a bottle and a cork that's the way we spell New Yoik, but dat's only in Proiklin. In Joisy we say up yo ass Cuomo.:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online