Recent 6.9 IDI Owner

BSheldon

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I'll make a long story (sort of) short: I lost my dad last year - not a bridge I thought I'd have to cross at age 35. He was a self employed business owner and vehicle mechanic his whole life - with an affinity for Fords. In the mid 90s, he fully restored a 1986 F250, and it's the truck I learned to drive in, among lots of other childhood memories, often towing the boat behind it to the river. It went through one more restoration in the early 2000s before dad finally decided the northeast winters had taken too much of it and sold it off as a plow truck to a friend. I've always wanted to replicate the old man's pickup for myself, and for my own kids, and recent events sped up that process for me. I needed to get a piece of my dad back.

I've owned several rangers throughout the years since high school, but this is my first diesel, period. I didy research here and have read the info thread at least a dozen times. I ended up finding it near San Diego and we just drove it home last night.

It's a 1986 F250 XLT Lariat 6.9, and spent all but the last eight years of its life as a fire chief's truck at a local department.

The Good:
- Freshly rebuilt C6
- New batteries (Interstate 850s)
- New starter
- New alternator
- New shocks F/R
- Rebuilt top end ~2 years ago (One new head, one milled, new IP)
- New bearings, bushings, swaybars etc. up front last year
- 170k original miles
- Once it's running, it idles very smooth, power is good, and starts hot with no issues

The Bad:
- It 100% needs glow plugs, no idea which brand are in it currently - previous owner says they were changed when the head work was completed
- Had a can of starter fluid in the door pocket - will not start cold without assistance, and the wiring in this thing is... Questionable. There's alot left over from its fire truck days
- Tach doesn't work
- Fuel guage works when it wants to
- Stalls randomly at low RPM, usually when it's coming to a stop from speed

Overall, I'm looking forward to what is now a life long project for me, but I'm officially feeling like I'm firmly part of the "Bit off a lot to chew" crowd. Looking forward to learning from any of you here as we go forward.

- Brandon

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Brandon, thats a sweet bullnose. Make sure and use motorcraft/beru glow plugs to avoid short lifespans and swelling tips of the cheaper brands. For the stalling at low rpms, run a heavy fuel treatment like hotshots secret diesel extreme. If it doesnt clear up look up the atf trick, your metering valve is sticking causing the truck to stall.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!!
That's a great story.
Nice truck with potential.
The biggest part of starting a project is research to see what you may be getting into.
Sounds like you did that and made the decision to jump on it.
The people on this site are awesome and very knowledgeable and always willing to help.
I bought an 84 single cab F250 with 6.9 and manual trans.
I have the engine disassembled now getting ready to put it back together.
Keep your family involved and your kids will have the same precious memories of you that you have of your dad.
Keep us posted of the progress.
Best of luck.

BSheldon

Reaction score
@Thewespaul, Frstdiesel, Oledirtypearl86:

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it! As far as the fuel treatment; that, along with a set of new glow plugs and a filter change are all at the top of my list.

I may not have jumped at this truck with those issues, but all the recent mechanical work, and the fact that there is ZERO rust, especially the cab being cherry was too much to pass up for the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7