FIX or REPAIR DAILY. . . (P)*&(O)*&^(S)^*!!

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when sh&88T goes south, it becomes an avalanche. Last trans, E4OD, was rebuilt by a GM guy. It had problems from day one and I dealt with it. My solution has now become to drop in an Allison. The engine is a crate motor and the valve cover dropped a baffle that disintegrated while bouncing off the valve train. I figured to pull the engine tear it down and fix it. My valve cover, my problem.
Upon taking it apart, I found one of the oil squirters that is supposed to be aimed at the bottom of a piston was inside the oil pick up tube resting on the screen. Nicely broken of it's mount. Did the piston hit it and bust it off? Or did the crank get dropped on it during installation?? Now it is a split decision on warranty. I now firmly believe the noise I was hearing from the engine was a wrist pin. There was no bouncing tin noise coming from the valve cover and the "rod noise" wasn't really pronounced when I dropped it off at the local "expert" diesel shop for a diagnosis. The only thing that got diagnosed was my wallet. The lies were impressive. Another painful story of letting someone else work on your machine.
That takes care of the engine and trans, but wait! There's more to come!!!
Way back when I had a knee replaced the engine went south and not knowing what the recoup time would be for a knee job, I took the crate engine and truck to the first diesel shop in town. They dropped in the engine and used a lot of parts I supplied including Mercon V trans fluid, The trans got replaced at the same time as the engine. I gave them two brand new, unopened cases of trans fluid to fill the trans and transfer case up. The transfer case was being added to the 2WD truck at the same time as everything else.
Remember the two cases of unopened trans fluid? Nowhere on the outside of the carton was it marked
"Not to be used in transfer case. Yeah, Mercon V might be the only ATF not be used in a transfer case. It was marked on the individual containers. NOT the outside carton.
The first shop wound up refunding me a bunch of money for mistakes they made on the engine install and I just chalked this up to my mistake because obviously the people at that shop were reading ability challenged.
I say this because I gave them 3 copies of typed instruction informing them of the toggle switch on the dash to light off the glow plugs. The promised completion delivery day slipped by and then a few more after that. I suspect they cranked the engine endlessly trying to make it start and I even got it back with USED Autolite glow plugs in it, of which, 2 were not connected.
2 diesel shops in the local town and one is brand new with a 1/2 million dollar building and neither one is worth a spit. Now I get to redo the engine/trans/transfer case again. THIS IS GETTING FUNNNN! NOT.
Gee! At least the Eaton truetrack rear end is holding together. I did that one. That must be the secret. I did it.
Maybe I should put the E-locker into the front diff before I swap it over to the Dana 60 front axle. That's a mere $1500 hit I didn't desire to do at this time, then again. . .
After potentially another $4K for another engine on top of the cost of the Allison. This is starting to get to be entertaining.
This is not a case of what did you do with your truck today,
This is now a case of what did you do with your truck this year?
I go now. I have to pull the used E4OD out from under the truck and sell the $600 new style converter with the $150 E4OD deep trans pan all for $300. The rest of the 4X4 trans is going to be free.
Catch y'all later!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That must be the secret. I did it.
Yes sir, I believe that you are correct.

Man, you've had a rough run.

If you are able, do it your self. No one on the planet cares (as much as you do) about that piece of equipment.

Stay the course. The odds are that you will be glad that you did.; just my $0.02 (USD) ... Which isn't what is was worth last year!

Kizer

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Did the piston hit it and bust it off? Or did the crank get dropped on it during installation??
I'm not sure that the crank can be dropped and break off an oil squirter without doing some damage to one or more of the crank journals. The oil squirters can get bent sometimes and it's ALWAYS a good idea, upon reassembly, to turn the engine over by hand and closely inspect each oil squirter to make sure that they all clear the pistons so that they don't get broken.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't the re-builder nor the installer of the current engine. I was the poor slob who turned the key and falsely believed all was good.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way would I buy a used convertor that came from a broken transmission. Unless I was able to get it flushed out good. I think you should recommend this if you sell it to someone, or they are going to have bad days like you have been having.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the trans other than the lack of a few extra clutches and steels to take up the slack in the clutch packs. A trick that has ben used an many transmissions over the years. I also do not believe the '95 front pump was installed and the older slower pump model was used.
Two simple enough fixes for someone else. The converter also has a drain plug on it.