Cummins Conversion Questions

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Originally posted by Darrin Tosh
I have someone coming tomorrow to look at the '93 F350 CC 4x4 that I purchased from E-Bay out of Texas. He is looking for a truck to do a Cummins Swap. I told him that it is a good canidate for one because of the rust free solid body. We will see how it goes, I may know where there is a good running 7.3 IDI and 5 speed for sale soon,.....:D

Well he bought it, He is going to rip out a perefectly good IDI and replace it wiht a Cummins. He is building a pulling/show truck, and need an rust free truck to start with. Sounds like he has sponsers with money to back him up also. Should be a pretty tough truck!

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The thing you have to think about is these trucks don't last forever if you have to spend 12 grand on a engine swap time to find a new truck. It comes time when you have to bite the bullet and walk to the darkside and buy a PSD or just suffer with the lower power.

Like they say faster you want togo more it costs you if you really want Cummins power you will have to do what Goat Boy did. It was probably the best move he made it was painfull watching him :frustrate

Get a 97 PSD with a set of swamp injectors you will have more than enough power to pull your horse trailer.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I kinda figure when this truck is gone or my daughter drives it, I"ll move up to a PSD. I don't plan on ever getting rid of my truck but I would let it go to my little girl. Down the road a 'puter controlled diesel may be the only game in town for us. I know a lot of guys who have been trouble free with the PSD. I won't be going crazy with any diesel but I want to be sure it's solid and has ample power.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pacific
The thing you have to think about is these trucks don't last forever if you have to spend 12 grand on a engine swap time to find a new truck. It comes time when you have to bite the bullet and walk to the darkside and buy a PSD or just suffer with the lower power.

Like they say faster you want togo more it costs you if you really want Cummins power you will have to do what Goat Boy did. It was probably the best move he made it was painfull watching him :frustrate

Get a 97 PSD with a set of swamp injectors you will have more than enough power to pull your horse trailer.

painful?Speak for yourself:Sly .Granted I owe him a whoopin.Not only for leaving the Force but for letting the Enterprise get in the shape she is in.:backoff But,she will be better.Just wish Billy Boy hadn't chickened out of the rally!Guess I will just have to show up at the Family reunion.....I guess I am welcome since I am driving a past family member(Redheaded Step Child?).

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Darrin Tosh
Well he bought it, He is going to rip out a perefectly good IDI and replace it wiht a Cummins. He is building a pulling/show truck, and need an rust free truck to start with. Sounds like he has sponsers with money to back him up also. Should be a pretty tough truck!
Sounds cool...any idea what he might want for the tranny?

p.s. Tell him that it's a POS and that no one will give him over $500 for it ;)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As you can see you start off all happy then break something (typically engine) then read the book make the repairs, now your happy because you also added more power while doing the repairs. Then break something else because you beat upon it, then after a few time of this you finally realize the horse won't get up so you call it a day and get another farm animal to beat upon....

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pacific

Well, after my experience with my truck I tend more towards keeping it and improving it over time rather than trading for something new or going through the headache of buying another used truck.

Used trucks are too expensive... the ones that are truly good cost close enough to new truck price that it doesn't make sense to buy them and forego the warranty and knowledge of what the vehicle has been through...

$12 grand in my truck gives me a Cummins (or a hot-rodded 7.3 IDI) with a known history (or at the very least, a warranty), plus knowledge of what my truck's been through. $42k for a new truck doesn't give me much more, but hurts the pocketbook like crazy!

Last edited:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Even with my choked downpipe and poor intake I'm not dissatisfied with my truck. When I can open up the exhaust and intake and adjust the fuel and boost I know I'll be pleased. It might not go like a ***** ape like my dad's '02 PSD but I can only go so fast on the roads anyway. I only owe $2400 on my truck and it'll be mine. It looks good. I enjoy driving it and it's the best truck I've had so far. I will get as many miles and years out of it as I can.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by troutwest66
Even with my choked downpipe and poor intake I'm not dissatisfied with my truck. When I can open up the exhaust and intake and adjust the fuel and boost I know I'll be pleased. It might not go like a ***** ape like my dad's '02 PSD but I can only go so fast on the roads anyway. I only owe $2400 on my truck and it'll be mine. It looks good. I enjoy driving it and it's the best truck I've had so far. I will get as many miles and years out of it as I can.

We're kindred spirits... I just like my truck too much to replace it. It isn't brand new... so any new scratches it gets don't hurt so much, and I don't feel angry when someone with a more powerful truck blows my doors off.

The best thing, though, is (when I can find time to work on it) seeing my efforts result in a nicer and nicer truck as time goes by that's truly mine. Hardest part is finding quality upgrades.

When the new paint and engine happen... a few years from now... it'll be one of those trucks that make folks drop their jaws. A pretty, clean, and well-running IDI is indeed a beauty to behold.

Mike