Cross country roadtrip - Oregon to Pennsylvania

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on the road. Headin i80 West. Just stopped for the first fill up. This time the truck is loaded a little bit heavier. 2498 more miles til home.

One of the return line caps looks a little wet. I tried tightening the injector line above the cap but it doesnt want to get any tighter. So I guess Ill just let it ride, dont want to take it off on the road unless I have to.

You must be registered for see images attach
Confined within a single cab pickup for 5000 miles and no reported casualties? Obviously an outstanding relationship exists between you, your wife, and dog that is rare in today's society, congratulations!
Now for anyone searching for a perfect example of a vehicle that would never be targeted by a rest stop criminal looking for an easy score, take note. Weathered mule deer rack on front grill, Harley decal on door, actual Harley in truck bed, big dog sittin in front seat, not to mention it's a slightly used 30+ year old one ton diesel ,,,,,,,,,, you my friend could likely let your keys in the ignition and your wallet on the dash with no problems!

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its as if your watching us haha.
Keys stay in the ignition, purse on the bench seat.
No one is reaching in, my dog practically lives in this truck and gaurds it so.

On top of that, I doubt someone could find the push button start, hidden glow plug switch or shifty neutral safety switch. My hillbilly theft prevention.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that brings back some memories......me back in winter of 2004. somewhere in AZ........

Still waiting to spot another bullnose on the road.

Last night we spent the night at a friends house in Carmel IN.

Right now we are grabbing diesel and food in Williamsburg, Iowa. Going to refuel on an energy drink, see how far I can drive and when I start to get sleepy we will use the app to find some cheap or free camping.

Been having some trouble finding diesel pumps with a nozzle that will fit in my truck. What gives? It sucks pouring slow and splashing fuel everywhere because the nozzle tip is too big.

So far weve been blessed with awesome driving weather, only thing is I have a wicked sun burn on my left arm.

Been using diesel kleen every fill up. Juat ran out and all they have is Howes lubricant so Ill be running through a gallon of that the rest of the trip.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it ALMOST fits right? Mine's so close I wondered if I could grind it out some to fit. Around here the "auto" nozzles that actually DO fit are like HALF the speed of the truck nozzles.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still waiting to spot another bullnose on the road.
forget just a Bullnose.
seeing a Bull, Brick or OBS on the open interstate is a rare sight these days. Still, my Brick/OBS morphidite is my favorite for backroad travel.

for the curious........since I have no dog with me, I have proximity sensors mounted on my truck and yes, there are guns in the truck. :O

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had quite the experience last night.
We drove until midnight. Our app couldnt find a free campsite but the website "campendia" found one called Tooley Park near Grand Island, Nebraska.

We pulled in and it looked like a great camp spot, had the place to ourselves and it was on the Platte River. After we setup our tent, it started to get real windy. I figured to check the weather and Im lucky I did. A huge storm came in with 60mph wind, first wind then rain then hail. We peeled up just in time, still got wet but not soaked. It was one of the craziest storms Ive been in. Severe thunderstorm warnings every couple of minutes on the radio. I pulled in to a fuel station with a roof just in time to avoid hail hitting the harley and truck.

At 3am it died down and we drove over to a motel 6. Just as I was feeling a little discouraged, the front desk informed me they had a ton of prepaid cancellations and for some reason they passed that on to us. We got a $70 dog friendly motel room for free! Some friendly people in Nebraska I tell ya.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t drive ten miles without seeing another one down here, Texas land of the free and all the IDIs!
If Texas is land of IDIs, then Pennsylvania is land of 2017 Silverados and Oregon is land of the Cummins.
I saw a bullnose today but it was a road workers parked truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Texas is land of IDIs, then Pennsylvania is land of 2017 Silverados and Oregon is land of the Cummins.
I saw a bullnose today but it was a road workers parked truck.
I'd agree with you there. we're definitely going against the tide with our old Fords. I swear GM must be giving away those Chevys like they were candy. I did spot one bricknose while visiting ghosttowns, I felt it was better to take a pic from afar than to risk getting shot or bit looking at it up close.

and we can't be without your dead GM either.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what was going on in your photos. Ghost towns. Cant say Ive ever been to a true abandoned ghost town. Looks eerie but fun, somewhere you dont want to be at night. And yea better have some firearms handy.

Before we left Nebraska we ate at Thunder Road Grill in Grand Island, NE. The food was awesome tons of race, fuel station, garage and general auto memorabilia. They had an awesome arcade, tattoo parlor and messues. There were whole vehicles inside and even a big piece of steel from the world trade center.

We had another scary event. As I was parked waiting in line for the only diesel pump at a station in Wyoming an old timer walked right in front of my truck, as he crossed the parking lot a f150 came ripping in and tried to cut around me. The driver ended up hitting and knocking over the old guy HARD. I jumped out of my truck screaming at the driver. I dont know if the old guy was just shook up or what but it seemed I was more upset then him. In the end he seemed alright and everyone just went there seperate ways after exchanging information. He was hit hard, if that was me I would of stayed laying on the ground and filed a report. You never know how your going to feel in the morning or a year later from something like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online