Cross country roadtrip - Oregon to Pennsylvania

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change in elevation is one aspect however the biggest thing detrimental to fuel mileage was wind direction. Driving from west to east, wind is at your back, east to west you're driving into a head wind. I remember we couldn't use overdrive when we hit the midwest plains traveling east to west. Coming home (WEST TO EAST) it was OD all the way!
This^^^

Same reason flying cross country west to east takes less time than east to west.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Ive been here, in Pennsylvania, for a couple of days now.
I'm glad I came, my mother is in much better shape than I expected. I tagged along to one of her chemo treatments the first day I was here. She is eating, holding her food down and really still up and moving around. All good news. I can sleep better at night now :) She is almost done with chemo and then starts 7 weeks of daily radiation.

The bachelor party was a hoot. We had a hatchet throwing tournament and all went out to see a band play. Good times.

The truck is doing good, I think the drive actually cleared some things up. It seems to drive smoother. Tiny problem.. I used a dryer exhaust hose to put the air filter on the turbo and it wore a hole from rubbing on the brake master cylinder. Temporarily fixed it but now I am looking for a pipe to replace the cheap aluminum hose.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a couple photos to keep the thread alive.
My parents live in the Pocono Mountains. There is a pipeline in the backyard that runs for miles. Great for ATVs and sledding in the winter. Got to take my sister's z400 out for a spin. Needed a little idle adjusting and then ran great. So much fun.

We have a cheap 76 Olds Delta 88 Royale. Its kind of a back burner project. It was in good shape and just needed a new vinyl top, but while parked someone dropped a tool on the windshield. Thinking about a cow print vinyl top to give it a little character. Some day...

I am going to be hauling my Harley Sportster 1200 back to Oregon in the bed of the Ford. It is my first Harley. I learned to ride on a Kawasaki Ninja 500 and a XR600. Moving up to the 1200 Sportster until I am comfortable enough to get something everyone wont call a girl's bike.

Next week Ill be adding some D-clips through the bed into the frame of the truck to tie down the bike to.

Drove the F350 to New Jersey and she did good. The roads in PA and NJ are HORRIBLE, if this were OR there would be "CAUTION ROUGH ROAD" signs everywhere! Ive reached my first hiccup with the truck for this trip. The brand new glow plugs stopped functioning. Ive started a separate thread for that.
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/yet-another-glow-plug-issue.82864/

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious where in PA are you? There is a bunch of us oilburners down here in central pa. I'm about 20mins east of Harrisburg myself.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well either you wore out the tires on the quad, or you weren't the first one to ride through there.;)
Yea, my sister doesnt take good care of her quad. Definitely needs some new rubber.
Just curious where in PA are you? There is a bunch of us oilburners down here in central pa. I'm about 20mins east of Harrisburg myself.
I am in North East Pennsylvania right now. We will be back on the road in a week or so.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yea, my sister doesnt take good care of her quad. Definitely needs some new rubber.
I was really talking about the well worn ATV trail in your picture. I hate to admit that I have one or two ATV's myself that could use tires. I've been too busy lately trying to save up for parts to overhaul my 7.3 to do much "luxury" purchasing.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Yea there is so much development in the area that the pipeline is the only place to ride these days. 10 years ago it was barely a trail now the tracks are worn and at some parts the ruts are a foot deep (not from mud).

Took the ford up and down the pipeline yesterday. You know, just to make sure the 4wd still works.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the ford up and down the pipeline yesterday. You know, just to make sure the 4wd still works.
you really need this sticker :D

i'm not that bright either btw. I like to venture on backcountry roads where there is no cell signal.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's when a sat-phone would be nice. Broke down once in the Mojave desert and ended up hiking 20 miles before getting a ride to the nearest town. Not one of my better days.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back on the road. Headin i80 West. Just stopped for the first fill up. This time the truck is loaded a little bit heavier. 2498 more miles til home.

One of the return line caps looks a little wet. I tried tightening the injector line above the cap but it doesnt want to get any tighter. So I guess Ill just let it ride, dont want to take it off on the road unless I have to.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well the leak would be from the cap, not the line. At least 99.9999% of the time. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk