Cross country roadtrip - Oregon to Pennsylvania

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what was going on in your photos. Ghost towns. Cant say Ive ever been to a true abandoned ghost town. Looks eerie but fun, somewhere you dont want to be at night. And yea better have some firearms handy.
for 20 years I had to chase a deadline. always in a hurry to be somewhere, get a load delivered, literally passing places by at warp speed. literally not being able to stop and enjoy ****. you'd be suprised to see what life looks like when you stop, get off the interstate, and follow where your curiosity takes you. :D it takes me roughly 2 weeks to complete a 2 day drive from kali to TX, but the run never takes the same path. I might stop at the same place with a different truck, but how I find my way there is generally different. here's an example, Separ, NM is at the southern end of the continental divide. I've stopped there twice with two different trucks. 2012 in the Nostromo(gray truck) and 2017 in the Sulaco(white truck).

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I try to avoid the interstate if I can at all. I don't care that it takes me longer to get there, I think it's worth it to see different things in the small towns that you pass through on the two lanes.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We travel a lot of the old routes rather than the interstates just to see the sights. You would be surprised all the cool stuff there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took yalls advice and got a little off the the interstate.

I dont know how this happened. Most likely just high speeds and high wind. A little gorilla tape and Im back on the road. Anyone have any guidance on a permanent fix to connect the filter to the turbo with something better than dryer vent hose?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took yalls advice and got a little off the the interstate.
awesome :D do rinse off the underside of the truck very well when you get home :D
I went through there in the middle of the night and almost got lost on the flats. lesson learned.....don't go out on the flats at nite without a GPS. :O

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luckily it rained pretty good once I was back on the interstate. I wiped her down with a rag best I could but yea I still need to hose out underneath. My dog is CRUSTED!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Use 4 inch exhaust pipe in place of the dryer vent.
I've seen people use PVC, but I wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through all six pages of posts and thought it was about time I posted. Your trip is really getting me itchy for my drive back up to Alaska from Arizona. in two weeks.
My wifes parents are getting up there in years so we thought for the last years we would be with them when they needed us.
In July of 2016 I got Bernie a 1992 e350 7.3 and e4od. So far 2 trips to Florida on I 10 and two trips back to Alaska .
I have my share of little stuff with this van. But love it I have no history on Bernie But the motor has been replaced. along with a factory remanufactored tranny with a date of 2015.
It uses no oil get a steady 20.0 mpg and the ip had been replaced by Advanced Diesel from Anchorage. This van had no smoking signs and way too many diesel only signs plastered everywhere.
I am so glad your trip has been good. You have inspired me to take more pictures and I am trying to dash cam the whole trip about 50 hrs of recording the trip is 4300. I only plan on recording 11 hrs a day.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize for the roads in jersey. They make me a lot of money but also beat the crap out of my own stuff. 78 and 80 look like third world country roads right now especially the entrances and exits.

Glad you are almost home safe and glad you got out to see your ma

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopped one more night in Winnemucca, NV. But now were are home in Oregon!

The truck handled the trip like a champ. I owe it all to this forum and all the members here. And I guess ford and IH too. Without you all I wouldnt know a glow plug from a spark ha!
I really think my truck is in better shape than when I left. Either the long hot highway temperatures or all the dieselkleen, howes lubricant and marvel mystery oil I ran have the engine and turbo running great! Sounds better, feels smoother and feels like more power.
So to everyone puttin around town, get out there on the open road, your IDI wants to burn away everything it has been building up for years.

Now Ill put the truck back to work. Hauling scrap/trash to the dump, delivering cords of firewood from the national forest and toting full water tanks wherever there isnt a well.

This thread will fizzle out now that the trip is over. Thanks again guys I really owe this smooth trip to the forums.

First day back, already haulin scrap. Sure feels good to be home.

Saw this piece of art at a tiny restaraunt in Denio, NV. The food was delicious.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online