Cross country roadtrip - Oregon to Pennsylvania

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cruising at 2500rpm 70 mph I get no smoke. Maybe going slow up a hill, or starting slow through 2nd and 3rd gear.

My "**** of smoke" was at a steady cruise on flat road. Truck didnt hiccup or anything. Hasnt happened again so I really havent been worrying.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the one off high speed belch of black on several diesels over the years. My only guess is that blowby oil condensate builds up somewhere and then gets sucked in the intake and burned. I came to this theory after hitting a series of bumps in my John Deere tractor one day and observing the same thing. That tractor has a leaky oil seal in the turbo and accumulates oil in a low spot in the intake. A good bump or steep incline and the oil that pools dumps in the intake and it does the same thing.
My IDIs have belched like that under load, so have all my mercedes, and an old vw I had years ago.
They all seem to do it after being under load for some time. I am used to it now.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've traveled from PA to Colorado & back to PA six times in the cab of a pick-up. Interstate 70 and 80 are both nice rides. 80 is better if getting there quicker is your goal, 70 is nicer to see America! You'll also likely notice a difference in fuel mileage traveling west to east verses east to west. My experience, west to east always produces better fuel mileage. Clean air filter and proper tire inflation will be your key to best mileage

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a mufflee on your truck truck? Maybe a chunk of soot just decided to leave your exhaust? I know when I put a used diesel mufflwr on my truck when I first started it and drove I thought I was rolling coal for some reason but I figured out it was just some soot deposits coming loose from inside my used piping and muffler.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a rdt but it could be build up from before I got rid of the cdr. I used to have the horrible banks filter and it made the cdr bring a lot of oil into the intake.

I have a muffler, but no tail pipe.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night we made it to Iowa. We started to use a free camping app. It shows us close camping with reviews. For $10 we set up camp. It was a cold night in the tent at 20 degrees. Not bad though with new sleeping bags and our little dog as a heater.

Truck is still running smooth. Im about to fill up and check my mileage again now that Im on the straight flat land of Illinois.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

pafixitman

Reaction score
Late posting but I made the reverse trip on the 15th. Using Southwest though! I work in eastern Philly area (Berwyn) and flew in to Portland and crossed the river to Vancouver. Lucky me I get to do it again in 2 weeks. Then off to San Jose end of May.

Good luck in your travels and best wishes for your mom.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its called "free campsites" for android. Weve used it twice in the middle of nowhere and instantly found sites within 30 miles. The first campground was free, second one was $10. Were only pitching a tent but both were setup for camper vehicles and trailers with water and electric hookups.

Seems that city or municipal campgrounds are cheaper and more accomadating late night than state parks are.

We skipped a couple campgrounds because the reviews read "had my hitch stolen", "next to cattle ranch, smells" and "locals claimed all spot". But the grounds with good reviews were excellent.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because you're going downhill. Maybe not fast, but lower in elevation just the same.
Change in elevation is one aspect however the biggest thing detrimental to fuel mileage was wind direction. Driving from west to east, wind is at your back, east to west you're driving into a head wind. I remember we couldn't use overdrive when we hit the midwest plains traveling east to west. Coming home (WEST TO EAST) it was OD all the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online