Crawler hauler update

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
So I got the truck home, turns out it's an '89. The whole time I was dealing with getting the truck I never knew it's true vintage. LOL

Rolled and beaten it still drove fine on the highway, the engine ran great and the trans shifted smooth what more could I ask for in a free truck eh?

So last weekend I struck a deal for another free truck for body parts on the 89, it's getting a 81 front clip. Not that I don't like the brick body style but the 81 will much better match my 80 Toyota styling and I'm gong with an 80's theme on both rigs.

Some interesting things have come up, at some point in time the farm morons hooked a a chain to the bottom of the core support so it is tweaked pretty good so I'll have to straighten it out and do some welding on it to repair their damage.

The '81 had a recessed section on the edges of the core support so the much shorter fenders can bolt to it. I'll cut and modify that today as well so they will bolt on with no further mods.

The hood bolted right on and once aligned with the cowl and fenders properly dropped down and latched like it was meant to the there the whole time. I was very happy to see I wouldn't have to modify the latch assembly at all. :D

The fenders bolt on just like stock with the exception of the lower bolt near the rocker. The '89 has the bolt coming in from the side while the 81 went straight up from the bottom. No problem there I already have a plan for attack. Also the top two bolts by the hinge seem to sit about 1/2" lower on the '89 so I'll have to make some shim stock for proper alignment.

The doors as expected are a direct swap. The lock arm on the 81 is in the door panel by the inner handle while the 89 is up on top like normal. No problem, just dropped the 89 latch assembly in there, the hole for the lock rod is already in the top of the older doors.

One thing I'll have to deal with is building my own grill. I'm putting in 7" round headlights (no real reason other than I have them and like to keep my junk looking the sameish) and I have no grill or lower valance that is in usable condition. I need to make a bumper too, if I could find an old smittybilt dual tube with hoop I'd put it on there in a heartbeat. :D

Anyway, I'll have pics up later today, I snapped some off yesterday but we ran out of daylight and thus heat this time of year before getting it reassembled so we called it a day early.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I've been tinkering away on this every weekend but it's just now finally coming together.

Had a random guy stop by one weekend about a month ago and ask if I wanted a flat bed. I didn't have time to go look at it but my wife did and we struck a deal for $200 and they even delivered it with a boom truck and set it right on the frame. :D

So I got the lights wired up and the mounts are fine tuned to fit this generation of truck. I had to open up the tire openings not only for the 37" good years with turbine mags I picked up for $100 with lugnuts but to make them centered on the axle. I had to move one of the fuel filler buckets for the rear tank and weld in a patch panel to cover up where it was.

The roof is pushed up enough that the doors seal and I glued a wrecking yard windshield in it. Need to finish the install of the 99ish F150 buckets with console I was given too. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look good, I keep waffling with taking my brick nose back to 80-86 styling.. Love the turbines. Like to do that, but A: I have welds.... :D B: the don't make them in a 8x170mm pattern.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin' pretty sweet. I've got a weak spot for the slant nose body style. Is that got a Dana 60 under the front? I've been pondering some of those hummer tires, and was curious how they clear.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Lookin' pretty sweet. I've got a weak spot for the slant nose body style. Is that got a Dana 60 under the front? I've been pondering some of those hummer tires, and was curious how they clear.

Yea it has a 60. In the last year I went from a 2x gasser tow rig and a built yota axle in the wheeler to both having 60's. :sly

They clear far better than expected actually. I'll be cutting up to the body line around the wheel well once the lugnuts get here this week. (The guy forgot to give my them to my wife when she picked the tires up)

I almost kept the bricknose but it didn't fit with my 80's theme as well so off it came. I'm building a tube bumper for it today. It should be almost done this afternoon. :D

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin' pretty sweet. I've got a weak spot for the slant nose body style.

I have heard you use the term "slant nose" for the 80-86 pickups before, but I can't figure out what is "slanted" about the 80-86 frontend except the very slight angle above and below the headlights. Is that what this "slant nose", "brick nose" thing is all about; the way the headlight surrounds are formed?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bricknose is cause they're squared off like bricks for the most part. Slantnose would be cause the grill is slanted forward a bit.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah S-duty axles under my pig...

went from E40D to NP435, with 4.10's 3200 at 75

went to 37" HMMV tires 2700 @ 70...

Spent some time on the Pitbull tire calculator...

Headed down the road towards 3.73 and 40" tires... 2ooo rpm at 65.

And since its getting a diesel, that'll be perfect..

ANd since I have crippled my Krawl ratio, a divorced 205 will get added behind my 1356 gotta love my wheelbase...., rounding up here, but essentially truck should be 40:1 60:1 and 120:1....

But enough about me... Oh, and the S-duties gave me 4 wheel disc brakes.. but I may go 8x6.5" Dana 70 in the rear and adapters.... the person with my S-duty rear to match the s_duty front... is being problematic about it.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
That looks like it's coming along quickly, and looking good doing it.

It's getting there. My wife and one of her buddies is painting it this week while I'm out on the road. :D

I got started on the bumper and it is mounted enough to align it and build the rest of it. I'm plating from the bottom tube back under the radiator and building another small crossmember to attach it to the bottom of the frame so it is all protected and tough. I am torn between capping the ends of the tube or must buying smittybilt caps since I used the same 3x.095" wall tube as they do.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Just got off the road today to see the progress. Bed looks WAAAAAAAY better black. :D

There are tool boxes built into the back corners of the bed, the top rail isn't bent it's just the lid and the whole top surface is covered in bedliner so is the roof. The rest of it is satin black. I did run into something odd, I had bought all new lights to snap into the holders that were on the bed already but I hadn't hooked up the side markers yet till last weekend. It stopped raining right after I got home so I went out and put all the lights back in place and tested them to find the reds on the sides weren't working at all. They had power and ground but no light. Turns out they were both burned out yet brand new. I put a couple of the old over sprayed and beaten lights on there and they work just fine. Go figure that I'd buy two brand new lights that are bad. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online