Crap...boogered up spring hanger.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought new bolts, only cost around 20 bucks. It saves a lot of headache and hassle to just cut them out and get new ones. Also, with the bushings, there pretty cheap and might as well be done while your in there. The ones for the front springs were 50 bucks I think for all 4 at autozone.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I don't have an impact myself but I can use one out at my dad's. If I could break the bolts loose there, I could probably do the rest of the job in my own driveway.

What do you mean by you "figured out ways to put pressure on the bolt?" :confused:

Well each situation is different I had to do the rear hangers not the fronts. sometimes I've used a block of wood and a pry bar to press on the bolt while I spun it with the impact. I've used a small car screw jack with a block of wood you just gotta get creative

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't care what tools you have, the bolts in my bushings were not coming loose from the bushings! They were rust welded in there. Not to say the OP's are, but mine were, there was no saving the bolt or the bushings!

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed my bushings I used a small cold chisel on the eye of the spring and spread it apart, then I pounded out the whole thing out with a hammer and socket.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo is there any way install new bushings without a press? Hell is there a way to do it without taking the spring off the truck?

I wonder if something like a ball joint tool would work...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
you can poly bushings! You push the two halves in by hand, then push the center sleeve inside after using the poly lube. A c-clamp is about all that is needed, if that, most of mine tapped in very easily, some even pushed in (stoutly of course) by hand.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have gotten some pretty badly rusted bolts/bushings out of the leaf springs by burning the bushing out with a torch, when all else fails. Thats after cutting the bolt free from the hanger with a sawzall. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE FLAMES! If they're that bad you pretty much have to replace the bushings too. It's messy and it stinks, but eventually the rubber will burn out and you can get the metal shell with an air hammer or chisel. It's a real pain, but it can be done.

I've used the angle grinder/punch method to get the rivets out. Just replace them with the correct size grade 8 bolts.

I did the exact same thing, then once burned out, air chiseled the shell down and it fell out, just kind of collapsed it.

Worked great, but yeah, gotta love that rubber smoke! :)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I get these bolts out all the time with my secret weapon - My OTC c-clamp style balljoint press and a strong 1/2" impact gun....Works like a charm and most times the bushing is ok...You can buy the knock-off press's at Harbor Freight, Princess Auto or the like....I've used mine on many Ford and Dodge spring bolts with great success....I just pushed a bolt from a shackle on a 2001 F150, the old guy buying the shackle from me watched in dis-belief as I pushed it out.:sly;Sweet....One of the best investments in a tool I've ever made.

http://oemproamtools.com/auto/bjss.htm

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A trick i have used to get bolts out of stuck holes (If your getting a new bolt) is to use the air hammer on one side (with a flat head) and the impact gun on the other, This normally take 2 people for the best and fastest results. Try it it's never failed for me.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys ;Sweet

I might try getting out all the rivets at my place, then go to my dad's to take a crack at the bolts. That way if I actually get the bolts out I can go ahead and swap out the hangers. I might go ahead and order some poly bushings too just in case...just to make sure, does the front spring eye take a 2" diameter bushing? Summit lists those for our trucks for like $13 a pair, not bad at all.

Well, guess I also need to buy an air hammer too.

zpd307

Reaction score
i would just plan on getting new bushings. the truck will probably ride like a completely different animal, and you will wonder why you never did it before. mine are junk now, but i will have to wait until spring......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online