Cracked injection cup???

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the middle of pulling apart my project engine I came across some cracks in the heads, not sure what this is from but I assume that the heads are junk.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Any input?

Sent from my LG-P659 using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as those cracks do not go into the fire ring you are good. Little cracks are fine but if they go apast that headgasket ring you need new cups

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to include background info. It's a 7.3 idi, unknown miles or anything I picked it up with low compression for dirt cheap. Inside the engine is cleaner than most gas jobs I've seen.

My phone won't let me upload anymore pics but once it lets me there will be more

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Yeah, those small cracks in the pre-chambers aren't a concern and even if they were bad, like FF said you could just replace the chambers. If that's the worse you have then don't worry about it.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That piece is replaceable? And the crack is in the fireing ring if you can see it in the picture.. I don't know if the phone uploaded it or not?

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
They do come out, they're just lightly pressed in there. Not sure who has replacements though.

I see two pics, I'm not seeing any cracks near the head gasket ring.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those are the precups and they are replaceable but very expensive. I believe they are made from a material called inconel steel. As posted, they can be reused if the cracks are not out of the fire ring seal area.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I appreciate the great info. What causes this to happen? And if I don't replace them what's the chance of running into a problem later on down the line

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most have run cracked cups safely, cant recall any horror stories of it.

Extreme heat and pressure causes it. Injectors spray relatively cold diesel agaist them, they are meant to be hot, compression can be upwards of mid 400-500psi going thru that hole. And then combustion coming back out violently

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall those pics. Russ aka typ4 cut down a head and shipped it to Mel aka agnem. then Mel painted the insides to show intake, exhaust, coolant and what else that flows thru the heads. Each section showed a different port flow path. I'm sure Mel still has them for show & tell at the rallys. The precups have a depth recession set in the heads. They can be up or down 2 1/2 thousands from the head deck and be ok to run fine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are very nice precups in our world, run them. Mine had much bigger cracks in them 100k ago, about 5/16 long. If you do replace those, Ill take the old ones LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online