could this be real bad?

chrisgrant91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have dropplets of anti freeze on the bottom of the transmission bell housing...noticed about 5 months ago and just noticed them again tonihgt... it doesnt smoke or use anti freeze?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It is just as likely to be bad is it is to be minor. You need to locate the source. It could just be a hose of gasket somewhere or it could be a head gasket. No way to tell til you find the source. Antifreeze could just be blowing back from somewhere further forward.
Ken

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'll make a guess its the water upmp... But you really do need to look into this before it turns really bad for you... Like late Sunday nite 100 miles from home...

chrisgrant91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha... actaully...i bought the truck bout 6 months ago and the guy said he put a new water pump on it... possible he didnt get it sealed up good

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It is a 7.3l right? This engine does drip a little coolant from the back of the head but it can go away and come back in another 6 months. I read here that is something that happens particularly on the 7.3l IDI but it not always means imminent doom.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your freeze plugs on the block. Mine leak a little, I cleaned the ones I could get to and put JB weld around them to seal it up but some are still leaking.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the engine clean and dry, then dust it up with talcum powder. The powder will streak where the coolant runs across it, which should help you find the source. A water pump usually leaks all the time once it starts leaking. Headgaskets on the other hand, might only leak under load.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, make sure the hose clamps are tight on the coolant inlet and outlet on the motor. The cast iron will shrink with the cooler temps and sometimes you get a coolant drip at these site.

Heath

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, make sure the hose clamps are tight on the coolant inlet and outlet on the motor. The cast iron will shrink with the cooler temps and sometimes you get a coolant drip at these site.

Heath

That's what I'm thinking since the temps have nose dived in the midwest about a week ago.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Heath

I concur with the above...my T-stat hose will once again weep when the deep freeze hits and I'll again snug it down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger