could my ip be going out

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im running straight diesel and i have eratic fuel delivery ill be crusing down the highway and i go to get to a hill and give it some fuel and just falls flat on its face and them picks back up again it does that quit frequently but
after my carrier lift pump failed i robbed the electric pump i got from napa rated 7-9 psi i think but i moved it to the frame rail and no change could the ip be going out or is fuel flow my problem
there are no fuel leaks found fuel system looks fine
but the ip looks to be leaking fuel from some where pretty dirty

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Have you done a fuel flow test, using the schrader valve on the filter head? Also, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
no fuel flow test what do i need to get to do that
fuel filters have about 13000 miles on them that might be a good idea to change them

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
no fuel flow test what do i need to get to do that

If you have a tire valve cap that will remove the stem, use that. Turn your fuel pump on and see if you get a good quantity of fuel out of it. Someone else will chime in, with the proper amount. Make sure you have a hose hooked to it, so you can catch the fuel in it.

fuel filters have about 13000 miles on them that might be a good idea to change them

What you described, sounds like mine when the filter is clogged. I also have the fuel filter light in my 93 and it coming on coincides with my truck acting like you described yours doing.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ill give those a shot im probably going to try changing my fuel filters first i cant emagine them being clogged unless ive got a bad batch of fuel whitch is possible
but when i run wmo im filtering it down to 2 micron so thats definatly cleaner than the diesel thats going to my ip

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well its most definitely a fuel pressure or volume cut causing it to do that. Because of how you say you hit the gas and it'll fall on its face first before taking off. Do what you've said you're going to do and change the filters, my bet is that WMO has killed one of them. I seriously doubt its an air problem. Air is more like a periodic sputter with no reason to it. Your problem is directly related to fuel loss when you press on the gas.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Well its most definitely a fuel pressure or volume cut causing it to do that. Because of how you say you hit the gas and it'll fall on its face first before taking off. Do what you've said you're going to do and change the filters, my bet is that WMO has killed one of them. I seriously doubt its an air problem. Air is more like a periodic sputter with no reason to it. Your problem is directly related to fuel loss when you press on the gas.
i forgot this
well it likes to sputter out when i first start up and then fires back up and seems to clear out until i put a load on the engine

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ya but whats making me think
is where can it be coming from im at a loss
tomrrow after work im going to pull it in the shop and look around and try to diagnose the problem thanks guys for all the info keep it coming

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a clear line on between the filter head and the fuel returns. If it's air, you'll see the bubbles. Could be fuel starvation also, that is no air, but a lack of fuel (vacuum).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online