Cost effective way to tow a 6.9 f250?

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
I have a 6.9 f250 that I'm trying to use to tow another 250 6.9 without the transmission. I'm only going about 50 miles. Can I flat tow it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
I think I might just have to do that. The only problem is I would have to be there and what? Get in my truck and follow the tow truck driver? I'm just worried they won't tow it since it's supposed to be 'road side assistance'

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're asking about towing with all 4 wheels of the towed vehicle on the road, I wouldn't advise it.

I towed a 1986 F250 gasser (351W) using my F250 diesel. I had a proper bumper pull setup and everything but the truck being towed refused to follow the lead vehicle. Mind you this was 2wd truck with kingpin style knuckles (not known for good self centering characteristics). Its possible that a ball joint setup would follow easier but I have no personal experience with that in an F-series. I ended up having to "drive" in the rear truck while my dad drove the tow vehicle.

We encountered severe oscillation above 50MPH but managed to get it home safely by limiting our speed.

I did successfully tow a ford ranger of the same vintage using my F150 once and that little ****** followed without any drama whatsoever. It was 4wd with balljoint front end though.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
If you're asking about towing with all 4 wheels of the towed vehicle on the road, I wouldn't advise it.

I towed a 1986 F250 gasser (351W) using my F250 diesel. I had a proper bumper pull setup and everything but the truck being towed refused to follow the lead vehicle. Mind you this was 2wd truck with kingpin style knuckles (not known for good self centering characteristics). Its possible that a ball joint setup would follow easier but I have no personal experience with that in an F-series. I ended up having to "drive" in the rear truck while my dad drove the tow vehicle.

We encountered severe oscillation above 50MPH but managed to get it home safely by limiting our speed.

I did successfully tow a ford ranger of the same vintage using my F150 once and that little ****** followed without any drama whatsoever. It was 4wd with balljoint front end though.
Well that's nice to know especially since I am going over a mountain pass. Don't want that thing pulling me around going downhill.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tow it with a tow bar make sure the drive shaft is removed and the steering wheel is unlocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's nice to know especially since I am going over a mountain pass. Don't want that thing pulling me around going downhill.

Yeah sometimes it would try to follow, while other times it was steering the rear end of the tow vehicle. Quite the pucker factor on that trip but we made it work.

Having said all that, the towed vehicle was sitting for a while and may not have been in good alignment (parts truck).

We figured out after the second turn out of the PO's driveway that trusting it wasn't a good idea. If you're able to complete a few sharp turns at low speed and the towed vehicle is following well, you might be ok. Light touch on the steering and looooong following distance...

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
I haven't really seen the truck yet so I don't know what model it is. Guy said he's sick of looking at and I can have it for free. So, I didn't really ask a lot of questions. But, what is the max length and weight these trucks can be?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I might just have to do that. The only problem is I would have to be there and what? Get in my truck and follow the tow truck driver? I'm just worried they won't tow it since it's supposed to be 'road side assistance'

They don't care. Lol
May or may not have to be there. Would depend on the driver I guess.

As mentioned above, tow dolly might work. Not sure of the weight limit on those things, but I've had a 81 f150 on one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
Obviously, I would have to lie to u-haul about what I am towing if it does. Well, if an f150 can fit width wise. I don't see why any other f-series can't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online