Cost effective way to tow a 6.9 f250?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My car dolly is a retired uhaul dolly. I know it fits a stock 86 Chevy C20 and a 97 Chevy K1500 with oversize tires. I can't imagine it'd be a problem for your truck. Towing it behind my f350 dually, I think I could probably squeeze that on there too in a pinch ;)

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my 93 f-250 on one, it was tight side to side, let a little air out of tires and it sat down in cradles and strapped down.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm broke as s***. Love my truck but I got a lower end knock and a tick up high. It's my daily driver so I don't have time to pull and rebuild. I'm going with the u-haul dolley. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
In Washington state you can't drive on highways with a rope. No other way over the mountains :(

Besides, no one I know actually knows how to drive a vehicle that is being rope towed. "You are the brakes" don't know how many times I've said that. A good tow rope is easier to find than a good buddy.

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way would be to have/rent/borrow a flat bed car hauler. I've hauled IDIs multiple times with one of those behind one or another of my trucks. The speed you go(especially uphill) depends entirely on how much power you have - more turbo/HP = more speed.
Otherwise, you can do it all day long, even NA... but you'll be going slowly.

Second best would be the two-wheel dolly; I don't see why that would be a problem, as long as the dolly's tires are strong enough. If you are towing it backwards, I'd probably lock the steering wheel straight ahead so it doesn't kick to the side and drag.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
Best way would be to have/rent/borrow a flat bed car hauler. I've hauled IDIs multiple times with one of those behind one or another of my trucks. The speed you go(especially uphill) depends entirely on how much power you have - more turbo/HP = more speed.
Otherwise, you can do it all day long, even NA... but you'll be going slowly.

Second best would be the two-wheel dolly; I don't see why that would be a problem, as long as the dolly's tires are strong enough. If you are towing it backwards, I'd probably lock the steering wheel straight ahead so it doesn't kick to the side and drag.
I know that uphill I'm going to probably max at 30 with 3rd gear as I have a worn N/A 6.9. I plan on taking regular breaks. I'm more worried about the vacuum pump delete and the lack of rear wheel brakes. I have no power booster. Best case scenario I drive off the pass and die instantly.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going down hill use your gears to help hold you back and stab break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
Going down hill use your gears to help hold you back and stab break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the 4 speed, I have little to no stopping power with nothing but an aluminum toolbox. Not untill I hit 35 mph, when I can shift into 3rd. Even then, I am pushing the RPM there. I could not imagine what 7,000 lbs would do at 35 mph in 3rd going down that pass. I don't remember the slope grade. But, you go up about 4,690 feet in 45 minutes. It's steep!

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excersice common sense and you'll be fine. I put a f550 backwards on a dolly and pulled it 80 miles with a 150.
Took the outer wheels off and tied the steering wheel with the seatbelt.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
Excersice common sense and you'll be fine. I put a f550 backwards on a dolly and pulled it 80 miles with a 150.
Took the outer wheels off and tied the steering wheel with the seatbelt.
I'm not going over 50mph. I was gonna ask...if I put it on backwards do I lock the front wheels somehow? Or, do I let it steer freely? I've never done it that way.