correct tranny fluid?

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Question for anyone, in a tech article by oldbull on transmission flush you said it was okay to use the Mercron V and ford had updated it. But you were talking about a 4100R transmission or something close to that. Anyways is it okay to use in my E40D.

thanks!

Jim

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I ALWAYS use Valvoline Max Life synthetic ATF in E4od's. Its reasonably priced and have managed to get many miles out of worn out E4od's with it. I have complete faith. I also add a "Magnefine" magnetic in'line filter in the cooler line. Very easy to install and its cheap insurance. So I highly recommend Max Life or at least a synthetic.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valvoline mercon 5 comes out and fresh goes back in every 30k miles in mine.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flush designates 4R100 or E4OD if you read it. Any ATF is good as long as it's compatable with Mercon V.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thanks I saw in it that the procedure designated either E40D or the 4R100 but wasn't positive it included using the Mercron V for either.

Thanks
Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is something I need to do soon. My issue is I have the Mag Hitech deep pan on my E4OD. It has an additional 2 GALLON capasity...:eek: That 2 gallons more than the standard capasity of the trans. Its going to be red beans and rice that week here...:angel:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well besides running cooler and never running lowI think thats about all one needs. I would have to loose 2 gallons of trans fluid before I would need to be worried about loosing the trans because of fluid loss.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only benefit I see with a BM or Mag Hytech transmission pan is the aluminum fins that may help disperse heat. I am not sure how much cooler transmission temps would be but additional fluid is a benefit. Thanks again idieconoline for the trans pan by the way!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another drawback to installing a much deeper pan,is that the trans will come up to operating temps slower,making for an overall slightly less efficient vehicle.
a nice bonus however i guess,is that with increased volume,the longer the flush durations you could go i suppose.

Well besides running cooler and never running lowI think thats about all one needs. I would have to loose 2 gallons of trans fluid before I would need to be worried about loosing the trans because of fluid loss.
as long as your filter is extended down deep in the pan i suppose.if it's still the same depth filter,she can still only draw up from that level.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use AMSOIL universal ATF that has a service life of 90,000 miles because changing out the cheap stuff every 30,000 cost more money and still kills the transmission anyway...

Javier

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The benefits to more oil are extended drain intervals, cooler running from the fins and cooler running generally due to a little more dwell time for the oil in the pan. The point about getting up to temp is well made but it's not much of an issue. I have one on my F150 and it knocked off about 15F in my tow test. The warmup time, something I have looked at, is not noticeably longer... at least not some much that I can say, "it takes X minutes longer." In theory, it's a concern. In practice... not so much for me. Is it worth the extra money? For most of us, I'd have to honestly say no... spend your money on a Magnefine! I do like the built in port for a temp sensor and the nice magnetic drain, but you can add these things to a stock pan fairly easily for next to no money. Enhanced filtration does more to extend my trans OCI than a few extra quarts of oil does. The extra oil capacity and cooling would likely be worth more to someone who worked their truck very hard. 15F is worth some money in that case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.