Coolant reservoir full

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '89 F-350 with a NA 7.3l. The last couple times I've checked the coolant level in the radiator I've had to add coolant. For the first time the other day I had a small puddle of coolant around the driver's side steer tire. I pulled off the overflow tube to the reservoir and when running (not at temp.) there is a small trickle of coolant flowing from the radiator to the reservoir. Is it possible that my radiator cap is bad, or is it something else?
Thanks for your help.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score
Well I just replaced my radiator and thermostat in my 7.3idi. I would suggest the following:

1) remove radiator cap
2) start engine let run, if you still have a working fast idle, the temp switch opens at 114F range to give you an idea where your temps are at when the fast idle goes to parked idle.
3) keep an eye on the stock gauge as a reference as well
4) feel the heater hoses, they have circulation all the time, are they getting warm:
5) feel the top radiator hose, no flow will go into it till the thermostat is opened and will be cool as compared to the heater hoses.
6) once top radiator hose starts getting hot (thermostat now open), watch the radiator coolant to see if its flowing
7) if all that appears as it should, put a new 13PSI lever radiator cap on it and test
8) if gauge is showing warmed up, but no hot flow from your upper radiator hose, your thermostat maybe stuck closed

Hope that helps,

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say, the coolant was flowing before and after the high idle kicked off, so it wasn't cold.... just wasn't up to temp.

I have a new radiator, upper and lower hoses, and thermostat to put in. Should I just do that (since I have the stuff and was planning anyway) and see if that takes care of the problem?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd replace the cap first if it was me. If you are wanting to replace the other parts anyway, it may be a good idea to make sure that there's not another issue first. I'd still lean toward a new cap at this point. Hopefully, you've been on here long enough to see that you should only use a Motorcraft thermostat.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copy that on the Motorcraft thermostat. I've seen a video on YouTube of a 6.9 that was leaking coolant really bad into the coolant reservoir. Mine is not bad at all, it's just a trickle that goes over to the reservoir. So I'm really hoping it is just a radiator cap. The radiator cap seems a little iffy in my opinion already anyways.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's a good sign that it's the right place to start. I always prefer to start with the easier, cheaper possible fixes first.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why you always use motorcraft...
You must be registered for see images attach

I found the exact same thing when I replaced my tstat years ago in my old 87 pickup. Sometimes aftermarket parts are good, and sometimes they are pure $h!t.
Oem is the only way to go with this specific part.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new cap on and it didn't leak out to the reservoir. After further inspection, the cap said Motorcraft on it..... maybe the original cap???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726