Coolant question

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've been torn over this issues. Since i'll be getting my 7.3 idi in a week or so i need to make sure its protected. I'm stuck on what coolant to run. Right now my choices are to run low silicate green antifreeze and check additives every other oil change. My other choice is to run a oat elc that i can just put in forget (would be much easier on my part). Now i hear that the new elc coolant has problems with seals? Is this something to worry about on these idi's. I'm mostly hearing this about on newer engines.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that ELC's will eat old seals, but cannot confirm or deny this.

I'm running Caterpillar ELC in my truck and have been since I redid the head gaskets and oil cooler seals in 2004. At that point, essentially every gasket or seal in my cooling system had been replaced, and with one exception, I haven't had any problem with leaks. That exception is with the plumbing for my coolant filter...I used teflon tape on the threaded fittings, and I found leaks from these joints shortly thereafter...I guess that ELC eats teflon tape and you'd be better off using pipe sealant on any threaded fittings. Other than that, I've been happy with the ELC...my radiator still looks brand new inside (I replaced it at the same time I did the ELC conversion), and I haven't had an opportunity to look inside my cooling system since the conversion, but AFAIK all's well ;Sweet

So, I guess the best answer is, if you can redo your coolant seals beforehand, it would be good insurance against having a problem further down the road...whether or not it's necessary insurance, I do not know. Also, keep in mind that you will still have to check ELC for protection levels...the additives that you have to manually add to the green stuff is already in the ELC, but it will still lose effectiveness over time (albeit IIRC it lasts longer than the additive added to the green stuff). Caterpillar even sells an additive that's meant to be added to the ELC about halfway through its service life.

This probably created as many questions as it answered, but I hope it helps a bit...good luck!!

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. If i go through my coolant system i'll switch the one of the elc coolant. I'm not sure what my napa has for coolant. I remember being there and they just had generic napa high silicate coolant. I'll check again or have me order some.

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That exception is with the plumbing for my coolant filter...I used teflon tape on the threaded fittings, and I found leaks from these joints shortly thereafter...I guess that ELC eats teflon tape and you'd be better off using pipe sealant on any threaded fittings. Other than that, I've been happy with the ELC...my radiator still looks brand new inside

I am interested in coolant filter ideas, how did you go about yours if I may ask?

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems my napa has some. I'll have to pick some up. There is a tech article btw on the coolant filter. I'm going to be putting one of those on too.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I did mine using that guys article too. I plumbed mine differently but the idea is the same: run the coolant filter off of the heater hoses in a bypass config, using ball valves to isolate it and mount it off of the fuel filter bracket.