Coolant problem tonite

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
What do you think? Tonite I was towing my buddy's skid loader back to my house (about a 40 mile ride) when I started to smell burning oil. Didn't think it was a big deal because the dipstick tube is leaking down onto my cross over pipe. EGT's were between 6-900 & I was keeping a close eye on the coolant gauge (factory) because in was moving around alot. It was between the M & L but never above.. Suddenly it shot all the way past L & the engine light kicked on. I was about 10 miles from the house & pulled over on the side of the inter-state, deciding what to do when the gauge suddenly dropped to R & the light went out. I sat there for a few minutes listening to the motor & it sounded OK. I headed the rest of the way home without it happening again. The Coolant temp did rise back to L but stayed there until home. What could have caused the sudden spike & drop? Bad t-stat?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the t-stat and replace if its been in there for more than a year. its the lowest common denominator.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I thought the idiot light had it's own sensor. If so, that eliminates any guage or sensor issues. That leaves tstat, fan clutch, radiator, ect....

pafixitman

Reaction score
I thought the light and the gauge were seperate also. That said, Scott you need real gauges!

I also agree w/ Towcat, pull the t-stat. Sounds like it stuck.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I know the t-stat has been in for at least two years & probably longer. I guess some better gauges would be a good idea. Trans, oil psi, water temp for starters. What is the right t-stat for my truck? Just match the part numbers?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Motorcraft:
thermostat (with gasket) - E5TZ 8575 C

**NAPA Part Numbers***
thermostat gasket - C-24551
thermostat 385-190

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
hey apex, there is also one from Stant (sp?) Standt (sp?) that is a new item and is factory spec as well. prolly a little easier to find to. its designed so that the left and right bank get equal coolant flow, which IIRC is the reason the normal gasser ones are not appropriate. have fun pulling everything off getting to tstat though :rolleyes: vac. pump, alternator, fuel filter support bracket, and radiator shroud.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad over temp sensor does this. It kicks in at to low of a temperature and is wired in with the temp guage. Both of my pickups did this and is the reason I put an after market guage on.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks for the numbers Joe. I saw that in the Parts Bin after I asked. Evergreen, Thanks for the info. I've got a stealership right around the corner so the Motorcraft will probably be the way to go. I am going to install an aftermarket gauge, but I think I may have a bigger issue. I checked the coolant in the radiator & it was low (just above the fins) so I'm losing it somewhere. The over flow tank is full though so maybe thats where it went. I dunno. Always some crap like this happens after I order "run better goodies" :mad:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Instrument Voltage Regulator - used to maintain constant voltage to thermoelectric gauges to maintain accuracy.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Never said compared to what!

OK, in an attempt to appear that I knew what the heck Mel was talking about :rolleyes: I did a Google and cut & pasted "Auto Glossary"'s definition with out "proof" reading it first. :sorry: :idiot:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online