COOLANT LEAKING FROM TRANSMISSION?!?!

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So over the past few months i have been slowly losing coolant and i couldnt figure out where. with it being so cold and crappy over the winter, i never crawled under to take a look until recently.

I seem to be slowly dripping coolant out of that cover that has a small vent slit on the bottom. (maybe where the clutch is? im not sure)

so what is screwed up and how much will it cost me? lol

any ideas?

thanks

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So over the past few months i have been slowly losing coolant and i couldnt figure out where. with it being so cold and crappy over the winter, i never crawled under to take a look until recently.

I seem to be slowly dripping coolant out of that cover that has a small vent slit on the bottom. (maybe where the clutch is? im not sure)

so what is screwed up and how much will it cost me? lol

any ideas?

thanks

Coolant doesn't come into the transmission. The coolant must be leaking somewhere else and dripping down.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I'm the last guy to ask, But wondering if there may be a freeze plug on the back side of the block. Not sure if the intake manifold on the back side could be the culprit. Someone will chime in.

jim

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two CORE plugs, not freeze plugs on the rear of the block that have been known to cause issues.

Good luck with this, it's a nasty spot, and the reason my engine is out of my truck instead of driving!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Definitely its a freeze plug on the back of the block. Like posted there are 2 back there. Sad thing is you need to drop the trans and remove the flywheel to get to them. Also you will need the special freeze plug installation tool to install them correctly. Do not try this with a punch or socket. Some can get away doing it that way but they have done it for years and know what to do. I'm good but will not try this approach ... Please buy only the factory freeze plugs that come 7 in a package. Using any after market plug will fail. I found this out the hard way and it cost me a 5200 dollar engine. Others have used brass or steel plugs and had similar issues. These plugs have a special cut edge that bites into the block on a small lip. they are not the cup type plugs seen common in most engines. they require a sealant too. Hilomar works great. I used permatex aviation cement on mine. I also air tested my block to 35 lbs looking for leaks. none found. If you choose to pressure test you block just rent a cooling system tester that pressurizes you cooling system. Fill the block with water ans add about 20 or 30 lbs. Don't go more than that. The cooling system is a low pressure system. High pressure can cause the plugs to blow out too. If you just use air pressure instead of water pressure and a little air pressure be careful. the volume of air can make things blow out farther and hurt you. Ask around this forum for the special installation tool. Several members have them and may offer them for a fee or free. Its not a problem asking. Sorry but I have never bought one but sure wish I had. Its not a tool you use much but its the only way of doing this job. ?the factory pugs are stainless steel and usually don't fail. Did a shop rebuild this engine..

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely its a freeze plug on the back of the block. Like posted there are 2 back there. Sad thing is you need to drop the trans and remove the flywheel to get to them. Also you will need the special freeze plug installation tool to install them correctly. Do not try this with a punch or socket. Some can get away doing it that way but they have done it for years and know what to do. I'm good but will not try this approach ... Please buy only the factory freeze plugs that come 7 in a package. Using any after market plug will fail. I found this out the hard way and it cost me a 5200 dollar engine. Others have used brass or steel plugs and had similar issues. These plugs have a special cut edge that bites into the block on a small lip. they are not the cup type plugs seen common in most engines. they require a sealant too. Hilomar works great. I used permatex aviation cement on mine. I also air tested my block to 35 lbs looking for leaks. none found. If you choose to pressure test you block just rent a cooling system tester that pressurizes you cooling system. Fill the block with water ans add about 20 or 30 lbs. Don't go more than that. The cooling system is a low pressure system. High pressure can cause the plugs to blow out too. If you just use air pressure instead of water pressure and a little air pressure be careful. the volume of air can make things blow out farther and hurt you. Ask around this forum for the special installation tool. Several members have them and may offer them for a fee or free. Its not a problem asking. Sorry but I have never bought one but sure wish I had. Its not a tool you use much but its the only way of doing this job. ?the factory pugs are stainless steel and usually don't fail. Did a shop rebuild this engine..

I don't believe the engine was ever rebuilt. it only has 110,000 miles on it, and the carfax didn't show anything of the sort. and it only had 2 owners before me

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how rusty is the coolant? if its kept up rust is a non issue normally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online