coolant hose pressure

jimmyB

Reaction score
hey guys, well i dont have overheating problems but i just put in a tstat and new rad. Are these motors supposed to have alot of pressure in the cooling system? I noticed my upper rad hose gets real hard after about 5 minutes of idling. And i have the 13lb rad cap. Is this normal?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hose will have 13lbs or less on it if your radiator cap is working.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The pressure in the cooling system depends on a working radiator cap of a set pressure. Its generally thought you can't have more pressure in the system than the cap will allow. The cap acts like a safety valve. Now what radiator and thermostat did you install. Only the motorcraft thermostat will function properly. Others fit but wont cool the engine when its being used as designed.

jimmyB

Reaction score
i put the IH stat in and found the only factory brass rad left in florida. It gets hard,but i didnt know on these motors how hard they are supposed to get.It doesnt blow bubbles or nothing. It did have a 16lb and when i went to the parts store to get the cap they said 13lb was factory. It doesnt get hard as soon as i start it but 5minutes or so when it warms up it slowly gets harder. Just want to now everything is right.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i ditched my 13lb for a 16lb at the same time replaced the tsat never had such a cool running setup

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online