Coolant flush.

rocketron

Reaction score
Is there a way to empty/flush water jackets without removing plugs? There is no way they are coming out. -cuss Can I just fill and drain a few times? It did have good sca's in it but the rad got a hole in it and I had to limp it home with water. Any help would be awsome! :hail

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the plugs rusted in? If so, try some Aerokroil. Fairly amazing stuff for freeing up frozen fasteners...mine came right out after a spritz and overnight soak.

Guess you can flush on a best-effort basis if it's absolutely impossible to get those plugs out, but they allow the water jackets to almost completely drain so you really want 'em out! Assume you know to do whatever you can to remove as much of the water as possible if it wasn't distilled and to flush the heater core after to clear possible contaminants. Then refill with a good heavy-duty coolant/distilled water/SCA solution, or take the opportunity to install a coolant filter with SCA release tablet.

Might want to have a look at the thermostat and the small t-stat housing check ball while you're doing the radiator...my check ball was gone when I looked. On my 88, I wound up replacing pretty much all of the cooling system components since I only wanted to do that teardown once - W-pump, t-stat, housing, fan clutch, belts and hoses, along with the rad.

Jim

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
You can buy a kit to tee into a heater hose, but unless you have a large source of clean water, they will do you little good other than for burping your system if needed. You can drain the driver's side of the block via the oil cooler. A plug on the outside of the rear header.
Don't worry that much. Put a filter on if you are. This is part of why you use SCAs.
James

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find just disconnecting the heater hoses, and running a garden hose into the one, while the other just drains out to be effective. Give the drain hose a loop (think washing machine) and just run the engine. It won't even need to be up to temperature. Remember the heater hose action happens behind the thermostat.