Coolant filter question

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here after finals and I get back home from :hailPurdue Trusty is gonna go under the knife. I plan on new injectors, new ABS sensor, coolant flush (changing block drains during that),and install a coolant filter. I bought the filter kit awhile back and noticed that it wants you to install it as a bypass. I'm guessing this is because the filter doesn't have a built in bypass so when it plugs it would stop all flow of coolant in those lines. :dunno So i got to thinking that i could use this to my advantage. If i install this in the return side of my heater core (with no bypass) couldn't I use my heater as a way of telling me when to change the filter?;Sweet What I'm not sure about is does stopping flow in the heater lines effect anything? Only other thing i thought of is the filter wouldn't flow enough. I know on our semis at work we closed valves in the summertime so no coolant circulates through those lines.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Most of the filters I have seen added are right where you are saying, on the lines to or from the heater core. I would think you would want it before the heater core that way if anything was in the coolent it wouldn't have a chance to clog the heater core.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you would want it before the heater core that way if anything was in the coolant it wouldn't have a chance to clog the heater core.
I thought that too but wasn't sure if the filter could handle the heat.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Well anywhere it goes it will get heat. LOL

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Might be up Laffette area after Christmas.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never actually tried to plumb in a coolant filter directly in line to the heater core, but as I understand it, they're designed to have coolant trickling through them very slowly...likely slowly enough that you'll NEVER get hot coolant to your heater core.

Look up how a bypass oil filter works...as I understand it, a coolant filter's meant to work the same way. You can give it a shot, but I would recommend making the plumbing a temporary setup at first so you can redo it.

FWIW I change my coolant filter every time I change my fuel filter...may be overdoing it a bit, but better safe than sorry, eh?

sassyrel

Reaction score
Here after finals and I get back home from :hailPurdue Trusty is gonna go under the knife. I plan on new injectors, new ABS sensor, coolant flush (changing block drains during that),and install a coolant filter. I bought the filter kit awhile back and noticed that it wants you to install it as a bypass. I'm guessing this is because the filter doesn't have a built in bypass so when it plugs it would stop all flow of coolant in those lines. :dunno So i got to thinking that i could use this to my advantage. If i install this in the return side of my heater core (with no bypass) couldn't I use my heater as a way of telling me when to change the filter?;Sweet What I'm not sure about is does stopping flow in the heater lines effect anything? Only other thing i thought of is the filter wouldn't flow enough. I know on our semis at work we closed valves in the summertime so no coolant circulates through those lines.

and when you do this--DONT take out the frost plugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are ss,and takes a special tool to get them back in right--or they will blow out!! rsdsl had it happen to him,and one other person ruined their engine--

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The coolant filter has a restrictor in it so if you were to try and use it inline you would never get any heat out of the heater.

The way to plumb it is across the heater hoses so that the restriction of the heater core causes coolant to flow through the filter.

Just remember the coolant filters are directional (the ones with additive anyway) and the coolant flows from the head through the heater core then to the water pump.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant filter has a restrictor in it so if you were to try and use it inline you would never get any heat out of the heater.

Ok that answers my question ;Sweet. I wasn't sure if the bypass was simply a suggestion of if there was something that wouldn't make it work. In this case a restrictor. :thanks:

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score

The way to plumb it is across the heater hoses so that the restriction of the heater core causes coolant to flow through the filter.

Just remember the coolant filters are directional (the ones with additive anyway) and the coolant flows from the head through the heater core then to the water pump.
Thanks for clearing this up.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another reason the coolant filter needs to be in as a heater core bypass is to keep the flow speed and volume down to a level that allows the particles to stick to the filter media. Just imagine a little tiny speck of something heading into a *** of cotton at high speed... just like a bullet. Where as like an eddy current in a stream, the slower speed particle will just bump into the media and not force it's way through. This is how you effectively trap ALL contaminants in the coolant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online