Considering

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can see I'm an IDI guy. However mine just needs more umph to pull the size loads that I pull. So I'm considering moving to a PSD. I have some ?"s

Are there any major concerns to engines or Trannys to look out for?

What kind of GVW is realistic?

Fuel MPG?

Do they also suffer from the cavitation problem as IDI's?

Boy I hope the guys don't see me up here or I will be SWONKED:eek:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No serious problems plague the PSD. There is a recurring theme with the cam position sensor (CPS), some guys run one 200,000 miles and some guys only get 50,000 miles out of them. They run between 50 and 100 bux at most online sites or from IH. It behooves you to carry a spare in the jockey box. The engine and rotating assy is a very well designed chunk of iron, capable of much much more than Ford/IH put it on the street with. Oil changes are important since it is engine oil that fires the injectors.

The tranny is the E4OD or 4R100 depending on what year you choose. As with any auto, heat and fluid changes are the key. Minimize the heat and do regular services and it will be fine..........HOWEVER, if you choose to mod the engine then you had better pay attention to tranny mods as well.

GVW depends on F-250 or F-350, SRW or DRW..... But here is a ballpark.. 12,500-lb. trailer weight and 20,000-lb GCWR for a pickup and up to 26,000-lb. GCWR for the F-Super Duty Chassis Cab.

Fuel mileage?.... I get 12 towing, 15-17 in town and 18+ highway

Caviation is not as big of an issue as it is on the IDI, our compression rate is substantially lower BUT..... you need to keep up on the DCA levels just the same.

I know this was the cheap and dirty answers to some of your questions but I hope I helped a little, feel free to ask away all you want. We are pretty nice up here in the electronic age contrary to what the cave people in the basement would lead you to believe. :D

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
We are pretty nice up here in the electronic age contrary to what the cave people in the basement would lead you to believe. :D
:rotflmao :rotflmao Thats a good one.

Steve Baz has put together a quite a bit of information that prospective buyers and new owners find helpful. You can view his pages HERE

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
We are pretty nice up here in the electronic age contrary to what the cave people in the basement would lead you to believe. :D

Now was that called for? (Walking away, head held low, kicking a stone)... good news is, geico is so easy, even us cave dwelling knuckle draggers can do it!!!

I have some friends with them, most say the 7.3 Power stroke will love you long time, 6.0 sucky, sucky!!! LOL My neighbor has three of them and they get worked. I help him haul hay and the joke is often to see how quick any or all of the three can get away from my NA - IDI, which of course is always hauling the heaviest load as well! :angel: I have a 14,000 GVW trailer that gets loaded to the hilt with round bales. Since going to the 4.10's, I can slow that process, but still lack in power quite a bit comparably. I like any of the three and they very in years, but he buys a new driver truck about every four years, then puts it to work on the farm after the newness wears off. He pulls tractors and uses one of them to pull his alcohol burning diesel tractor and he pulls it in 9,000 lb. and up classes. I would guess his total trailer weight, with weights and such to be 16,000 to 17,000, and he has a DRW F350 that does it very well. He will not however, buy a 6.0 and recently purchased a new Cummins equipped DRW rig to take the place of this one, I have known him for about 20 years and this is the first non-Ford truck he has owned and while it bothered him at first (as well as my constant ribbing - I'm not a big Ford fan), he is very happy with the new DRW Dodge as well. I should also add that all of his trucks are bone stock electronic wise. He has put a bigger exhaust on the oldest one which I believe is a 95, but other than that, he leaves them as is and puts all his HiPo money in his tractors!

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Just to add what the others have said. IF your going super duty stay away from the 99 1/2 models (V8 Powerstroke emblem on frt fender instead of the door) They have torque converter issues, and the front brakes are specific to that year. Making replacement parts hard to find. BAZ's site is VERY informative.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
actually it is the early 99, 991/2 was the change. anyhting with a 8 build date is bad up t0 3/99.
Nick

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
OOPS Nicks right. I had my numbers mixed up.
You must be registered for see images

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i like the IDI too. but to answer your questions the PSD will outrun:peelout and outpull;Poke the IDI easily. they get about the same milage. the downside of the PSD is it is not nearly as user servicable so it can get expensive quick to fix. don't ask me how i know.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Gotta love that Feature of the boards that shows ALL new post in a listing....I just happened to see you and Considering and the PSD board listed.........Got one of those OH HELL NO feelings.......FFFFFIIIIZZZZZUUUUU....Don't make me say it twice......Get......

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the downside of the PSD is it is not nearly as user servicable so it can get expensive quick to fix. don't ask me how i know.

sure they are.unlike the IDI the PSD has the ability to tell you where it hurts.all you need is a scanner or code reader that will read the PSDs trouble codes.

as far as what year to get,stay with an OBS 94.5-97.we have the forged rods in them.the 99-up had a switch in a year where they went to powdered metal rods.the PMRs cant handle the power from add ons if you go nuts with the add ons.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy I hope the guys don't see me up here or I will be SWONKED:eek:

just keep the IDI as well like i did and the swonkin wont be as bad.although i will be gettin a seriously hard swonkin cuz i am gonna yank my IDI and replace it with a PSD as soon as i find a wrecked donor truck that i can afford for the motor and all the wireing.:D

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
99 and '00 and i think some '01s have forged rods as well. the SD trucks have some nice fru fru features (quad doors on super cabs, keyless entry, locking tailgate, etc) and IMO better interiors but i do like the OBS bodies better. some underhood work is easier on the OBS. the torque convertor issue does suck on the early '99 SD but can be fixed with an updated TC. if you can find an OBS with captain chairs the interior thing might be a wash. the SD does have more space though.

low mile PSD trucks are harder to find at decent prices. around here at least.

dunno if i's bother swapping a PSD into an IDI body. i'd probably do the opposite if i had the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online