compression break for sale

82fordtruck

Reaction score
scheid6996 said:
hey thanks for bad advertisment for me

actually, i think that was a good advertisement. That wives tale is the reason i'm not buying it from you, but he said it was probably ok.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
How is it bad advertisement? It's an old wives tale. It's something that is perpetuated by folks that over think a system - the exhaust brakes are designed to limit the back pressure through the use of holes or loose fit if you will of the butterfly in the housing to allow some pressure to escape around the butterfly which I'm sure if you look in your housing you'll see it. I know mine has both a loose fit and holes in the butterfly - now me I plugged the one hole in mine to gain even more backpressure and I know from speaking with a lot of other guys on other sites they have raised their backpressures to that which is higher than the spring pressures of each spring and they do fine. This is because at any instance in time you don't have just one valve seeing the pressure you have others that are holding as well and then some that are open to the combustion chamber... So then you can see the how the old wives tale can't hold water...

So I don't think it's bad advertisement I was just telling them what the tale is and that it did not hold water...

Sort of like the old wives tale that one can't open up the injection pump and do repairs... Heck I dispelled that myth back at one of the IDI weekends when I gave a clinic on how to replace the delivery valve...

snatchal

Reaction score
hey thanks for bad advertisement for me
The first thing that I thought when I read what you have for sale is "hey sounds cool, but I've heard we can't use an exhaust brake on an IDI"
Anyone who spends any time reading this board or any other diesel board was probably thinking the same thing. This discussion was bound to come up.
You probably have more guys wanting to buy it now then when you first posted it because the "myth" has been dispelled.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I too am curious to hear why, Im more intersted in it for a cummins im buying. :fan: <flame suit on> Whats the part number on that Exhaust brake anyhow? If it'll fit a 93 12 valve I will deffinatly be needing it.

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
well i did say at the beging of the thred that im selling my truck so it took the brake off, and for a dodge usually they have a diffrent kinds exaust break, im not sure what the part number is, cus i dont have the box anymore, and the numbers on the break dont match the ones on line, US gear always does stuff like that, but anyways its 3inch in and out, and about 12 inch long, but u cut out like a 9 inch section if i remember right

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
true, i think on some doges the have the break right by the exaust houseing

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep but either one works just fine... They don't require any maintenenace so one is really not any better than another one. I have one that is turbo mounted but it's a pac brake brand so...

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
yes it is possable, i think you have to buy a lock up, or just make the lock up mod, and no, i have it on a 5 speed truck, but US gear offers a kit for the e40d

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have your FIPL set up tight then the converter will lock with almost no increase in RPM above idle. Making the exhaust brake very usefull. Unless you want to use it with the brakes. Then you will need the manual lockup capability.

rubberfish

Reaction score
scheid6996 said:
well guys any takers, i need to get rid of some stuff, if not ill be putting it on ebay where its sure to bring more than $350, im just tryen to help some one out if they need one
The trouble with it for me, is it's 3"
Or I'd be asking about it too. Price is right.
That's for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gavinc