Compounds - A due diligence quest

wmoguy

Reaction score
i am trying to picture a turbo 2x as big as my ats and i can't.:D

The physical exterior dimension of the exhaust housing is something like 10 1/2". Compressor housing is almost the same size. The killer thing is I'm almost positive I'll have 3+psi at idle or more. I know a dude with one on his 24v and he has 5psi with the housing closed down in exhaust brake position. Bottom-line, it should spool like a mother and is totally in its map to mid 30's which it'll never see in my use. I'm hopeful this project isn't a bust but we'll soon see

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a mount up front like racin did? It literally be like 6pm from turbo tO intercooler and look sick under the hood.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The physical exterior dimension of the exhaust housing is something like 10 1/2". Compressor housing is almost the same size. The killer thing is I'm almost positive I'll have 3+psi at idle or more. I know a dude with one on his 24v and he has 5psi with the housing closed down in exhaust brake position. Bottom-line, it should spool like a mother and is totally in its map to mid 30's which it'll never see in my use. I'm hopeful this project isn't a bust but we'll soon see

HOLY CRAP:eek::eek::sly:sly:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Drive pressures would be super high off idle with it closed down. This is the type of turbo I want to run.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Drive pressures would be super high off idle with it closed down. This is the type of turbo I want to run.

Yep that's why mine won't be allowed to close all the way down. Going to do my darndest to figure out how to keep it as close 1:1 as possible. This one closes down to 3cm and opens up to 27cm. 3cm is insanely small.

Here's a link to the controller I built mine off of. Mine does not have the exhaust brake actuator like this guys does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHGbN67PIM&sns=em

Last edited:

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Hairy: I had a helluva time finding maps for Holset turbos, the ones I did find looked homegrown so I don't know how much stock to put into them.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, from what i understand, holset never produced maps for their turbos. Best i can find are ricer renditions for the hx 35 and hx 40. Did find a generic looking one for a stock 40, super 40, and pro 52. Now if i can just force myself to understand the mechanics of how to make them do what i want.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a mount up front like racin did? It literally be like 6pm from turbo tO intercooler and look sick under the hood.

I don't want to do that much fab work. Call me lazy, I'm cool with that. :rotflmao

To me it would be harder to rig a turbo under the truck than stick both batteries together on the pass. side and mount it drivers side behind the head light, but thats just me. I like the idea for sure. There is one of those for sale in my area for $400. But i just bought a low miles hx35g off a street sweeper for $100 and gunna fab it on this week sometime. I have the flange, mount, and down pipe mostly made up. Still need to do up pipe air cleaner, snail and oil lines. Any idea what an hx35 wastegate is set at factory?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the 5.9s around 17 psi some go up to 30 psi facctory on heavy off road equiptment

wmoguy

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking.
Before you ditched the compound idea. What made you pick the hx/35 hx/50 combo?

Guessing. :rotflmao

No just kidding (partially)

Since finding maps for the Holsets is harder than finding an original copy of the Declaration of Independence; I used things like Garrets' website which has a neat turbo calculator, as did some other website that was squirrelturbo.com or something like that. When using Garrets site, obviously I didn't get selections for the Holset turbos, but what I did was look at what was suggested in the Garrett shopping cart, and compare the suggested turbo specs (i.e. compressor wheel, AR, etc...) and find something that cross referenced decently in the Holset category. I really preferred to stick with Holsets because they are so readily available and inexpensive, like others have mentioned. The 35's can be bought easily and cheap because anyone with a Dodge Cummins takes them off to get bigger go power. The 50's come on alot of the larger Cummins like the N10, etc... (IIRC the Volvo trucks commonly came w/ HX50s)

Basically what I did on those sites, is plug in all the info powerwise for my small turbo, with putting peak power @ 2300 rpm, and mid range @ 1800 rpm. Then for the atmospheric turbo I plugged in mid range @ 2100 rpm and peak @ 2900 rpm. My thought process (right, wrong or indifferent) is that I'd want some overlay where each turbo is carrying an equal piece of the load in the mid range. Besides using the online turbo calculators I probably spent upwards of 25 hours reading, mainly on the Cummins forums (because those are the guys most commonly going Compounds) It seemed reading from the guys that had done it (well) the rule of thumb was that your atmospheric turbo shouldn't carry anymore than about 50-60% of the load. This fit pretty well for the Hx50 IMO. THe 35 would be WAYYYY out of it's map range if it were a single application, but keep in mind, that turbo would "think" it's operating in a different atmospheric condition once the 50 started to spin.

Thats the nuts and bolts of how I pieced together these 2 turbos. The added "toughness" in my research was, that I couldn't do what the other guys could in terms of pushing big boost. I had to try and figure out what I could get out of these turbos in sub 25 psi range. I'm sure someone more educated in pairing could do better than I, but since you asked, that's how I came up with the 35/50 combo. I certainly would never suggest anyone take my work above as "the right way to do it" and go out and build said twins without doing their own research OR looking at the potential ramifications that could come with screwing this up.

Update on my HE351VE project: we may have stalled out a few more days. My buddies Uncle had a BAD stroke, is on life support, and it sounds like they might be pulling the plug on him this week. He'll probably have to go out of state for a while to help on the family farm. I might be delayed even a little further. No complaints by me though, family and his friendship is WAY more important than some stupid turbo project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online