Commercial tire question

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 for Michelin’s being crap. I used to load range E LTX on all the trucks in our fleet and this last batch only lasted 20-30k as said. A set of tires that cost more than a grand should last much longer than that. Local tire shop says they changed their compounds around about 3 years ago and they a nfg now. They didn’t even wear properly just flaked from the start.
Yup. Michelins are good for passenger cars and airplanes but there are much better options for trucks. I really liked my DuraTracs. About 10k on them, virtually all highway, and they barely appeared to wear and still had the whiskers on them.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm gonna threadjack for a second here...

@snicklas @FORDF250HDXLT How are those in the snow? The Transforce AT and the BFG Commercial TA?

I realize they're not going to be as good as snow tires, but I've had all seasons that were decent in the snow, and all seasons that were downright scary in the snow.

I've got decent drive tires, but I will need a good set of steers before long.

chill,

I’ve had my Excursion for 10 years now, the only tire I’ve had on this truck is the Transforce A/T’s. When I test drove it, it had a set of BF Goodrich T/A’s that were “racing slicks” and refused to take delivery until the tires were replaced. In 10 years, its only been stuck twice. Both times in a soft grassy area. First time I wasn’t with the truck, and the wife didn’t want to tear anything up, so she had someone pulled it out. Not sure if I could have gotten it out on its own but I would push it a bit harder than she was comfortable with. The other time I got hung up in the yard and couldn’t get out. I had a bad lockout and didn’t know it, so instead of crawling out in 4x4 it dug a hole in 2wd. In snow, I’ve had no issues, and neither has Dad. My employer doesn’t give time for snow and you WILL be at work. I’ve made it every day. Dad is out in the country and the roads don’t get cleared well, and he’s not been stuck either. Like I said earlier, he and I have bought 5 sets....... I’ve personally put over 100,000 miles on my 2 sets. First set went ~70,000 miles and have 30ish thousand on this set. I will buy these as long as Firerock makes them.

I’ve even considered them for the Infiniti when it needs tires........

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't driven chip truck in the snow enough to know either way.These days since,I guess one could say I'm now "semi retired" ? (Someone who is a "seasonal worker" doesn't travel the country for a quarter of the year just cus they don't have work right? I dunno.I'm going with it I guess lol) I don't drive chip truck much in the winter,save for perhaps a few times in December before headed west.The old dually isn't much to brag about in the snow but she goes like a tank when I chain up her front tires.:D

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Yup. Michelins are good for passenger cars and airplanes but there are much better options for trucks. I really liked my DuraTracs. About 10k on them, virtually all highway, and they barely appeared to wear and still had the whiskers on them.

I really like my Duratracs too. I think its safe to say I've become a Goodyear fan in the last few years. (Kelly and Dunlop are goodyear too).

coffeerich44

Reaction score
I can tell you I think Michelin's are the worst brand I've ever owned. I've had them on my trucks and cars and they always developed cracks in the sidewall. I switched to the Bridgestone DURAVIS R500 LT235/85R16 and have to say its a great tire plus they were on sale at costco. I do a lot of hauling and had no issues with tread life or cracking over the past 5 years. I have Goodyears on my dump truck and they were great too.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
mods you can move this to the towing forum if you’d like I just know a lot more traffic here. My truck runs 235/85r16 on aluminum wheels. I’m trying to find a commercial type tire that would fit. Doesn’t have to be exactly same size just has to be 16in rim. I.D like to find a closed shoulder high mileage freeway tire like the 19.5 styles but seeing if anyone has recommendations
The Michelin XPS Rib is a Commercial Grade Hiway Rib Tread Pattern. That is hands down the best tire there is. Best price I know of Delivered is at Walmart. Last 1 I bought was $251. They run at Max Load 3042# with Zero problems and great tread life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker