Cold Weather Experiment

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
I knew the temp was gonna drop pretty low last night (forecast of 4 degrees F. without wind chill), so I decided to leave the truck out all night, not plugged in. This is my first winter with this truck (and I think it is the first winter for the truck itself-came from georgia/alabama border), so I wanted to test the limits. I live in southeastern Michigan (Brighton, Michigan).

The temp got down to -1 to-2 degrees and the truck sat for about 14 hours. I cycled the grid heaters 3 times and cranked. The engine turned over slowly (I think the batteries are originals), but it did start. It acted like it was running a few cylinders short, but slowly climbed to a smooth idle (about 20-30 seconds, seemed like forever). All the time it sounded like the vacume pump was giving me a steady groan. The groan got worse if I pressed the brake pedal or turned the steering wheel, so that is why I think it is the vacume pump. Seemed like a 5 count before oil pressure needle moved:eek: . Running standard Mobil 1300 15w-40.

All in all, I was happy. Lots of smoke, never did drive it. Just let the idle smooth out, then put the ice scraper on the pedal to bring idle to about 1250, put it in neutral to let the tranny fluid circulate, and ran it till I got some fairly decent heat out of the heater. Then shut it off.

Got a little coolant leak from where the upper radiator hose connects to the radiator. A few drips on the ground, hopefully just a cold hose and a weak spring clamp. Seemed to buid up pressure in the radiator after only about 10 minutes. It is a new hose, old clamp, new coolant that checks out to minus 37 degrees. And yes the coolant was liquid.

At least now I feel confident about letting truck sit out all day while at work without plugging it in. The initial rough running had me a little worried, and was ready to shut if off, but realized it was starting to smooth out. I need to add that I am running about 16 ounces of powerservice antigel to a full tank of fuel.

I guess my truck is up to ***** for cold weather. At least for now! Gonna put a new clamp on the radiator hose when and if it warms up out there.

Kevin

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
The groan you are hearing in the power steering pump, change it out to synthetic and the groan will go away, its a PITA to drain the oil and get the air worked out and many have found it much easier to use a turkey baster to suck the old fluid out then refill with syn, do this 3 times and you will be in good shape, trust me here I have no issues down to -42 so far.

Cheers, Kevin

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, I did remove and replace the fluid twice using a turkey baster type device. Removed and refilled with valvolene semi-synthetic, then drove for about a week, then did it again.

I guess I need to use the full synthetic stuff, but have not found it yet. Also heard of an additive that takes the noise away but can't remember what the name is. I have it written down somewhere.

Gotta go to the parts store today anyways, so I'll check it out.

Thanks, Kevin

CHarlan

Reaction score
I have the same problems with my ps pump... the box has been out for a while, but I dont have enough $$ to fix it, so we are just SOL, and grin and bear it till we get enough cash!

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
I've quit changing over to synthetic PS fluid for the cold weather groans and now use Lube-Guard PS conditioner. Five bucks at any auto parts and you'll never hear the whine again.

Dr. Evil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by infidel
I've quit changing over to synthetic PS fluid for the cold weather groans and now use Lube-Guard PS conditioner. Five bucks at any auto parts and you'll never hear the whine again.

Thats a much easier fix than flushing the PS lines.....will have to try that....thanks....

She groans pretty good when its -40 F...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online