COLD START IDI VIDEO

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Why? what wrong with a small shot of either

The elders here disapprove. I have no problem with it.:dunno
EDIT: when starting my 86 for the first time the rings were stuck and the gp's alone would not start it

Last edited:

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats funny I was just looking at starting fluid systems that hold a can of it in a bracket and you can press the button to give it a squirt. I think I will just put in new motorcraft glowplugs down the road. I put a brand new 2000 watt coolant heater this summer and plan on testing it out this winter. I was using the block one before. Its starting to get cold here.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I just don't like using ether to start my engines.

My way of thinking is, if it's tuned right, working right, and taken care of right, it should be able to start on it's own power :dunno

The engine I put in my truck had been sitting for at least 6 months, and after messing with the timing, and plugging in the block heater, it started right up in 40F weather without ether.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need ether your system is not functioning properly and the "elders" have already learned their lesson - and believe (correctly IMHO) that things should be done right

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Brad my truck is kind of a compilation of parts. It cab and front clip are from my original 1994 F350 Crew cab. The bed is from a 1994 Flareside. The frame is from a 1990 F250 supercab longbed. It will be getting a different frame hopefully next year because this one doesn't fit as good as I had hoped. I have a 155" wheelbase and actually need a 152" wheelbase. Its a mutt for the time being. Eventually it will look factory.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
If you need ether your system is not functioning properly and the "elders" have already learned their lesson - and believe (correctly IMHO) that things should be done right

I respect the elders around here. I refered to them in respect not as a young punk. If I was to stat that without some proof no one would care. I also agree with them on this. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

:sorry:

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Diesel Brad my truck is kind of a compilation of parts. It cab and front clip are from my original 1994 F350 Crew cab. The bed is from a 1994 Flareside. The frame is from a 1990 F250 supercab longbed. It will be getting a different frame hopefully next year because this one doesn't fit as good as I had hoped. I have a 155" wheelbase and actually need a 152" wheelbase. Its a mutt for the time being. Eventually it will look factory.

The crew cab flareside looks kinda cool :sly

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I respect the elders around here. I refered to them in respect not as a young punk. If I was to stat that without some proof no one would care. I also agree with them on this. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

:sorry:

Hey, were all here to help each other and bust each others balls sometimes. sometimes what i interpret is different from what other people mean to say:sly Wait DERAILED!! what does your truck sound like on a cold start-lets compare videos

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well when "the toy" is your dd you don't wanna screw around Everything should be right.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on ether is this. If the engine came from the factory with an ether system, then its ok to use it. If it didn't come from the factory with an ether system then don't use it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well when "the toy" is your dd you don't wanna screw around Everything should be right.

It is my DD at the moment, it cranks up everymorning and takes me to work, i just fired her up to let her warm up cause its 26 degrees here at the moment and fired up fairly easy